ADVERTISEMENT

2018 wings that have Gopher interest..and those I think we should pursue

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
I DID NOT LIST RACE THOMPSON AS HE IS A GIVEN... I have watched what video I could find on each of these players.... I dont get out to the AAU events like I used to but I still like to see what is out there, as far as talent.....These are guys that I think Minnesota would be a great fit that may have interest in the Gophers.

-Keyontae Johnson 6-5 195 lbs IMG Academy...Keyontae played on a team that has some serious talent.. PG Trevon Duval and PFs Silvia De Souza and Emmitt Williams are among the best in the nation.... Duval graduates but the other 2 will come back with Johnson.. Johnson is a tough athlete who is originally from southern Virginia(some tough kids from that area).... He is more of a slasher type than an outside guy... The thing I like about his game is he understands how to get open to make the best basketball play on offense... Has a good feel for the game, in that respect. Is strong off the catch, going to the rim. Can hit the 3 ball but that is not his game... I think he could be a good defender as well. Will be interesting to see his development as IMG does not have a PG with Duval's talent, next year. Johnson may have to handle the ball more on the perimeter but his game is definitely as a slashing wing that is not afraid to play inside.

-Sid Wilson(Brewster Academy - NH) is a guy that I have not given up hope.. Maybe wishful thinking with his relationship to Isaiah Washington.. Wilson has a similar game to Johnson though Wilson looks to have better handles on the perimeter, is longer and taller(6-6, 6-7), with a better shot... He would be my top pick, if I had my choice.

- A guy that was offered by the Gophers that I hear will probably stay on the east coast is Isaiah Mucius(Hagerstown Md. St James School) 6-8 190... I think this was one of those pie-in-the-sky things that we gauged his interest,. Mucius has, by far, the most complete offensive game of this group as he is one of the top small forwards in the nation.. Originally from NYC, I would think this comes down to schools like Syracuse, UCONN, or Villanova for his services. I put him in because we offered but I think that is where it ends. Just read that Wake Forest is in play and might be the leader for his services.

-More realistically, I watched videos of those "next level" guys in Minnesota HS hoops to see what was out there.. The player I liked the most was Shae Mitchell. I know he is not the most explosive athlete but he does a lot of nice things and certainly athletic enough for Division 1 basketball.. I like a lot about his game and seems to have a nice touch, in the half court out to the 3. Not a bad rebounder nor defender. . Plus he is long and tall enough at 6-6, 6-7. He looks more athletic to me than either Ahmad Gilbert or Michael Hurt, and that is not a slam to either of those guys. I know people have talked Jarvis Thomas but I think he looked like one of those undersized power forwards more than a guy that could convert to a wing. He may be a great kid but just not a great fit to Minnesota.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News