ADVERTISEMENT

3-0, issues and probabilities of correction

fencejumpers

Dec 30, 2002
Sioux Falls
The Gophers had a difficult non-conference slate and we should all be happy we came out unscathed (unlike Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, Mich. St., Maryland who all got bit) and sitting at 3-0. Obviously "how" we had to win and some of the recurrent issues has created a lot of reasonable concern. Posters and fans are backing off their confidence for the season. However, going through the various issues we have seen pop up, I am reasonably confident that despite struggling in certain areas for 3 games, the upside for this season is still there with the talent on this team.

The Issues:

1. Bad gap assignment and misreads by the LB's in the run game. This was highlighted in the SDSU game and allowed SDSU a lot of yardage on the ground. However, this was magnified by the lack of scout on SDSU"s new offense, new QB, and fact that Sori-Marin, Rush, and Oliver played a lot of their first action. I believe this issue has for the most part gone away with Martin returning (for the 1 game) and Sori-Marin looking much better this week. Odds of ongoing issue- 10%

2. Lack of Pass Rush and Pressure on QB. Again, this was highlighted in the SDSU game but improved in the last two games. Partly a factor of Coughlin playing through injury, which is hopefully in the past after the bye week. Also, Rossi was very vanilla in his defensive scheme against SDSU, but the aggressiveness has helped, especially in Fresno St. game. Mafe has been playing really well on passing down packages. Odds of ongoing issue- 15%.

3. Costly and Untimely Penalties. This was a huge issue in the Fresno St. game and in combination with the next issue, made the difference between luckily pulling out that game v. comfortably winning by 17-21 points. Fleck and staff have a track record of disciplined play and avoiding these issues. We still have many young guys playing, so may bite us once in awhile, but not too concerned here. Odds of ongoing issue- 10%

4. Turnovers and losing the +/-. Way too many fumbles against FSU and costly picks against SDSU and GSU. We need to get back to "the ball is the program" mantra. I expect to see some ongoing issues with interceptions if Tanner doesn't improve in his field awareness, but I don't think fumbles will be an ongoing issue. Odds of ongoing issue and losing the TO battle- 20%.

5. Poor offensive line play. This one is much trickier for me as there have been substantial struggles in both run blocking and pass protection. Live, it seems like the issues are highlighted by the inability to get "push" at the line to create lanes. However, when I have re-watched and paid closer attention, it seems like the issues are primarily missed assignments, lack of communication, or stacked box issues. Certainly there has been some lack of push, but I don't think with the success at the end of last year, that this will continue to be the biggest issue. The breakdowns in communication and players missing their guy in pass pro have been spread around the line and it only takes one mistake to ruin the play. Schlueter, contrary to pre-season belief, is not near the top of the individual concerns. I actually wonder if a change during the bye week might see Schmitz coming in at center, and Conner Olson moving over to RG with Dunlap moving to the 6th spot. IMO Dunlap has had the most significant issues with missed assignments (not surprising with the least experience) and Connor struggled with snaps against FSU and then just simply had a poor game against GSU. I also think the next issue (offensive play calling) has not helped this group out much. Odds of ongoing issue- 45%

6. Poor or Vanilla offensive play calling. I know many others including Burnie and Gobie have called this one out and so not breaking any new ground here, but it has been probably the most frustrating issue on my end for the season. It brings memories back to that first season where for most of the season, we played so predictable on offense, and felt we left a lot on the table. I could understand that some at least to the extent they were being stubborn in "builiding-block" their offensive system. I can also understand to a certain extent this year by going a little more vanilla in non-conference. However, it seems like we are making it way too easy for defensive coordinators and players that are defending about 5 plays 90% of the game. We know there is more in the playbook as we haven't seen much of: a) outside zone runs; b) RPO slants; c) if those aren't working, RPO outs; d) jet sweeps; e) use of TE's; f) other options out of the Wildcat; g) bubble screen even if haven't been effective yet; h) short crossing routes (some big plays the only times we tried this); i) probably many more that others remember. I know Ciarocca has had some great stretches in the past, but seems like he has been overly stubborn in not revealing too much. Hope this changes. Odds of ongoing issue- 30%

7. Poor vision in running game.
I add this simply because it became a 2nd half issue against Georgia St. and probably made the difference in closing that one out comfortably v. not sustaining 2nd half drives. Bryce has some skills and speed, but clearly is still working on his weakness of patience and vision (still can improve as he will still likely be a redshirt sophomore next year) and when you are forced into your current 5th string RB, it does make a difference. Odds of ongoing issue- 0%.

I think when you break it down, the odds are pretty good that most of what has been plaguing the Gophers, will be corrected through the Big 10 slate. If not, I may check out a heart doctor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News