ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting 8/8 Recruiting Update

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Two weeks ago I put together a war room. Not much has changed but with the recent commitments to both Minnesota and elsewhere, I wanted to recap where things are at, as well as write something up for our new subscribers.

The plan is to sign 23-25 scholarship players in December, which is 2-4 more.

QB: Gophers are done with Cole Kramer and Jacob Clark are both committed.

RB: Minnesota will keep swinging for the fences, but I wouldn't expect any news here until Signing Day. Gophers are very happy to have a RB class of Potts and Wiley, and the two complement each other well.

WR: Nnamdi Adim-Madumere, Michael Brown-Stephens, and Peter Udoibok are committed.

Rashee Rice, a top target, just committed to SMU.

CJ Boone, another top target, is still on the board. He has Minnesota in his official top four with Kentucky, Missouri, and Purdue. He says his plan right now is to take officials and then make a decision. Boone knows D’Vion Harris and MJ Anderson, so Minnesota has that going for them. Kentucky is Minnesota's biggest competition, and according to some, the leader. Mizzou is the local school and has had some ups and downs with him. They just had a local receiver commit and I'm told may no longer have room for Boone. Purdue just had a receiver commit last week too, and has a couple receivers higher on their board than Boone too. So right now, Gophers are in a competitive spot for Boone, but I think his recruitment may have a while to go still. He's talented and I anticipate other Power 5 schools getting involved.

TE: Minnesota will evaluate players in the fall but might not take a tight end in this class.

OL: The Gophers have Tyler Cooper and JJ Guedet committed. They will be content if the offensive line class finishes with just two.

Joacheim Price is the big target right now. He's a massive, athletic lineman from the Chicago burbs and is thought to have Minnesota and Illinois in his top two. Price hasn't talked to the media and is a tough read. The Illinois Rivals site told me that they think some of the new Illinois OL offers might be because the Illini are less confident about Price than they once were. We'll see. Iowa State is also involved.

DL: Minnesota added MJ Anderson to an already great DL class of Jason Bargy, D'Vion Harris, Keonte Schad, DeAngelo Griffin, and Chris Daniels. You could also count Logan Richter in this class.

I would be surprised if Minnesota adds another defensive lineman in the class. If they do, it would be Jason Blissett, who recently put Minnesota in his official top seven. Blissett is a priority for many Power 5s, so competition is stiff.

LB: Minnesota has Donald Willis and James Gordon committed, and Jason Williamson is committed as an athlete but may end up as a linebacker.

Brian Ugwu, who I just wrote about, told me he hears the most from Rutgers, Minnesota, Pitt, and Temple as the schools he hears from the most. I think Rutgers and Minnesota are in the best positions to land him, but if he waits until the fall to make a decision like he says he probably will, it will come down to whatever visits he likes the most.

Jamir Thomas is probably one of the few 2019s whose recruitment is still in a relatively early stage. He recently visited West Virginia, where he has a committable offers, after I believe not taking any visits anywhere all summer. Minnesota is actively recruiting him, and he told Josh Helmholdt last month that the Gophers were one of the schools he heard from the most along with Cincinnati, Pitt, and Michigan State.

The Gophers also might not take another linebacker in the class.

DB: Similar story. Minnesota had a big defensive back class last year and will be happy if their DB class stays as is, but they're willing to take one more if it's the right fit. TJ Robinson, Solomon Brown, and Tyler Nubin are committed. I think it's likely Minnesota will take one more, but Minnesota will be happy if the DB class stays just those three as well.

I wouldn't expect anything newsworthy until the fall. Jalen Graham has demonstrated interest, consistently hears from Minnesota, and has visited before. In June, he listed a top eight of Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Pitt, and Purdue. Purdue thinks they lead. I'm not sure if that's the case, but regardless Minnesota is in a competitive spot.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/200800

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News