ADVERTISEMENT

BBall Recruiting A new name you will hear in hoops recruiting

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
As Minnesota looks to fill its final spot in the 2018 Class, we have brought you stories on several high school players that have been offered. There will be some other names come out in the near future, but from a different venue.

Minnesota will be checking the growing list of college transfers. Although it is early in that process, there is a new name that has surfaced. Payton Willis announced last week that he is leaving Vanderbilt, and Minnesota reportedly is a serious suitor.

Willis is a 6-foot-4, 182 pound combo guard, originally from Fayetteville, Arkansas. He just completed his sophomore season. He averaged 5.2 points as a freshman, and 5.1 points in his second year. Although the numbers crunch. He was recruited by Kevin Stallings, who left shortly afterwards, and was replaced by Bryce Drew.

Willis was recruited by Richard Pitino originally, and is a good friend and former AAU teammate of Eric Curry.

Don't be shocked if there is an offer in the next few days.

Also in a related subject, Minnesota could have one of its own players deciding to take a different route, which would open up a second scholarship spot. If that is the case, is not out of the realm of reality that Pitino could look at signing two transfers. Here is the reason.

The staff believes the NCAA could change its transfer eligibility rules as of August 1. If a player is playing for a team and there is a coaching change, the rumor is the NCAA is looking at letting that individual play immediately if he transfers, and the grades are in order. There were over 800 Division I transfers last summer, so that opens up a lot of players to be ready right away.

There is also talk that if a player transfers and his grades meet requirements, to also grant that player immediate eligibility. That is where Willis would fit in.

I expect to get more information soon, and will update as soon as I do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News