ADVERTISEMENT

Ahlibobwa's Tuesday practice musings

AhliBobwa

Jan 27, 2010
*for significant parts of practice the players obscured my view to the point where I couldn't see much, and thus I have fewer specific observations than usual

Today's practice was heavily focused on 7-7, full team situations, and kick coverage.

QB play:

I was struck during warm ups by how much all the QBs seem to be improving a camp goes on. Between Croft and Rhoda, I saw them each miss just one WR through all of warm ups. They were throwing some bombs too. Seth green has also improved a lot and looked great in warm ups yesterday.

Tanner Morgan has a quick release, but at this juncture he definitely throws the ugliest ball of the group. The other QBs throw spirals while Morgan's passes are wobbly ducks. That said, he's pretty accurate despite the weird action on his throws. With a quick release and inconsistent spiral, Morgan reminds me of a young Philip Nelson.

At one point during warm ups the QBs worked with the TEs while the WRs did drills elsewhere. Am always struck by how explosive Brandon Lingen is. Also continue to be impressed with Wozniak--dude is playing with a lot of confidence. During this drill frosh TE Jacob Paulson was running an out route and the ball was thrown significantly behind him---Paulson turned back across his body, stuck out his left arm and poached it out of the air before quickly turning upfield. I don't wanna make Maxx comparisons as a whole, but it was a Maxx-esque catch.

Croft had what was arguably the play of the day During the first 7 on 7 session. Croft took the 'snap' wanting to get the ball to one of the 2 WRs split left. Croft decisively checked off both WRs, and in the blink of an eye reset his feet and launched an absolute howitzer to a streaking Demetrius Douglas, hitting him perfectly in stride halfway in the end zone---ball must have traveled 50 yards on a rope. I whooped and hollered a bit in impressed surprise.

During the first team session, the OLine was impressive, busting wide holes for long TD runs by Smith and Brooks respectively.

After one of these scores, PJ Fleck
got really excited about the block leveled by Nick Connelly, praising him over the loudspeaker. Fleck also gave Merrick Jackson a hard time about getting blocked out of the way on one of these TDs.

All day, every time one side made a good play Fleck addressed the opposite side and said, 'RESPOND, RESPOND, how do you respond?!'

Oh, and I will note that Thomas Barber got the majority of reps with the 1st team D today while Poock was with the 2s. Poock may start, but I think the race at the Mike is a lot closer than @Connor Stevens previously suggested.

During the break period it was interesting to note the difference in coaching styles between coach Paup and coach Warriner.

When handing out popsicles a couple DLinemen waved them
off and just wanted water. Paup said nothing.

10 yards away next to Warriner, 71 and 53 tried to refuse their popsicles as well. Warriner chewed them out and lectured them about how they 'need an energy boost' and demanded they both immediately take a popsicle. Both players sheepishly followed Warriner's orders. That said, Warriner was vociferous in his praise for the OLine work the first half of practice and I tend to agree. There was a lot of run blocking in team and I thought it was the best the OLine has looked in all the practices I've seen. The OLine needed a breakthrough practice and yesterday they got it.

During break Paup immediately sought out OJ Smith to discuss technique. Later Gary Moore approached Paup to ask him questions. I've noticed there are always a couple DLs asking Paup technique questions during practice breaks.

Side thought---Smith and Royal Silver stand out among our DLs in that they are both waaayyy softer than anybody else. Our other players are fairly lean and compact, while smith has a huge pot belly. Am surprised a guy who spent 3 years playing for Saban is so tubby. Luckily, he has a year to get into shape before we need him. And he showed interest in implementing the corrections Paup gave him, so I give him credit there.

WR--Tyler Johnson and Demetrius Douglas were great today. I realized during 7 on 7 that Croft has started looking for Douglas a lot as DD is seemingly always open.

I'm starting to believe that Demetrius Douglas will be Minnesota's starting slot WR this year. Dude has caught more passes in the past 2 practices than anybody else, with Johnson a close 2nd. Melvin Holland had one or two really impressive grabs today as well, including one where he got lit up the moment the ball arrived.

After the break each QB led the offense on long scoring drives both in team and 7 on 7. Brooks had an explosive 50ish yard TD run through a hole that many GI posters could have run through.

During one long 7 on 7 TD drive, Croft made a few absolutely clutch throws on 3rd down, including one red zone TD on a route where Douglas faked a slant but ran an out. I always forget the name of that route for some reason.

This was Connor Rhoda's best practice. It's the first time he took care of the ball in the 3 fall practices I've attended. He still checks down a ton, but when he does throw downfield he's doing it with a lot more confidence than he was a week or two ago.

Conversely, Croft threw a bad interception in team---the first truly dangerous throw I've seen Croft make in all of camp. PJ yelled 'Respond' and put Croft back in right away. Croft came right back with an absolute dime to either Johnson or Douglas I can't remember, en route to a TD drive. Loved seeing Croft bounce back like that.

Jacob Huff is starting to come on at safety. Made some nice plays.

Zo Craighton is up and down. He's improving but he's definitely behind Shenault and Thomas in development.

Frosh got a lot of run today. I don't have too much to say, except that our frosh in the secondary have promise, but are absolutely not ready for the big stage just yet (not saying they won't get there, just that they aren't there yet) Fleck praised Handy holly for making a nice play on a pass breakup at one point.

Kiondre Thomas got tested more than usual. In one fun sequence he jammed Still way off his route one play, but Still came back and absolutely torched Thomas on a shallow crossing route the very next play, and caught a pass from Croft in traffic. It's rare to see any DB get juked that hard, especially Thomas.

This is a note about every practice I've seen, not just yesterday. Payton Jordahl's consistency is impressive. He hits the exact same spot on every single long snap. I swear he could be repeatedly hitting a bullseye with that level of consistency.

Fleck does a lot of drills that mimic game situations. Today there were some fun kickoff coverage drills. In one, 3 defenders were lined up about 5 yards apart and their job was to fly to the return man each time returner got the ball and turned upfield.

On the other side 2 kick coverage players were lined up about 15 yards apart. An offensive blocker was about 20 yards downfield. The coverage guys were supposed to run full speed and run through the blocker as if going to the ballcarrier.

2 highlights---Jerry Gibson running downfield with some acceleration. The blocker gave it his best shot but basically bounced off of Gibson, who never even broke stride. Jerry Gibson can really run.

Another was Duke McGhee flying downfield, lowering his shoulder, and absolutely decleating the blocker. McGhee just exploded through this guy like a super hero. It was badass.

I've said this before--I'll say it again. Duke McGhee has had an absolutely stellar camp. Really excited to watch him this year.

During 7 on 7 both QBs went out of their going way to pick on Kunle Ayinde. He's had some moments in past practices, but yesterday he had a tough time.

At one point during team there was a botched handoff on a fly sweep which was recovered by the defense. That was the loudest I've maybe ever heard Fleck yell, 'The Ball Is The Program'. Fleck yelled that phrase almost ad nauseum yesterday.

Ben Davis had a rough day---had Warriner giving him an earful multiple times. Warriner coaches with a ton of energy---fun to watch.

Fleck got all over Celestin a couple times. I've noticed that fleck has been riding Celestin hard all camp. Seems like he wants Jon to step up and really be a senior leader on this team.

Fleck also reamed out Carter coughlin for jogging off the field during team---yelling 'you're a lot faster LB than that, Carter. Show me'

sometimes before the ball is snapped fleck will pick out random players and put them on blast. Example---'I'm watching you, Cashman. Got my eye on you 36'

During team one of our 2 deep DBs (I wanna say craighton but might have been Thomas or even Huff?) got called for a 3rd down PI, and complained about the call. Fleck balked, 'I saw that from here. They're gonna call that every time'

This is another point which applies to every practice I've seen, and not just yesterday.

I spent large portions of multiple practices standing near a certain former GI mod. I was planning to introduce myself but I quickly changed my mind.

This guy has spent 3 practices looking like he smells something rancid under his nose. He's complained constantly. According to him the DBs are awful and the OLine is worse. I can't even describe how often I heard him make comments along those lines. He also frequently ripped the coaching staff and just yesterday after a long Rodney smith TD run, this puffy mod, dripping with condsescencion exclaimed, 'There is absolutely no reason Rodney Smith should be taking a single rep. None. I just don't...' and he kept complaining as he walked away---complaining to the FATHER of a former player, no less.

I really can't emphasize enough how bad of a mood this guy has consistently been in, nor how dismissive he's been in his constant barrage of criticisms of the coaching staff and team. The closest he came to sounding diplomatic was when he said that 'Tracy Claeys is the most hands off HC you'll ever see, and Fleck is the most hands on'.

Of course, immediately after he spent 5 minutes ripping the offensive line. I can't imagine being so arrogant based on what----the fact that you cover the Gophers? I can't swear evidence of this, but based on his responses to others' queries, I got the impression this guy is bitter about his current lack of staff connections---doesn't like being on the outside with all the rest of us. IMO, dude consistently came off like a bitter, petulant, manchild.

To end practice Fleck always has the players shake hands like it's the end of a little league game, then yesterday the players gathered, arms around each others' shoulders as they yelled louder and louder, swaying quickly back and forth until the yelling was punctuated by one last breakdown.

Fleck always ensures that his guys start and end practice with a lot of energy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News