Gold Member
Sep 5, 2004
'18 TGR POY
@MFarrell

1. 2018 BIG TEN RECRUITING SNAPSHOT

znxnhjyjk7uovot8fwlb

Nebraska commit Brendan Radley-Hiles
Tyler Krecklow

Midway through the spring evaluation period, it’s time to look at each Power Five conference and take a quick snapshot of recruiting like we do every year around this time. Today we examine the Big Ten.

Biggest get: DB Brendan Radley-Hiles, Nebraska – Ohio State has higher-ranked commitments, but Nebraska keeping the Calibraska movement going and landing a physical leader like Radley-Hiles is arguably a bigger deal.

Biggest surprise: DB Josh Proctor, Ohio State – This was a bit of a stunner as Ohio State was not expected to pull the top defensive back from Oklahoma out of the state so early. I guess you could say that nothing Urban Meyer accomplishes in recruiting is a surprise, but this was a stunner.

Great start: Penn State – The Nittany Lions have been first or second in the national rankings for a while now, and even after losing five-star Micah Parsons they lead the Big Ten in recruiting. Ten of their 13 commitments are four-stars; a better start couldn’t be asked for coming off a conference title.

Surprising start: Minnesota P.J. Fleck is a great recruiter, so I guess this isn’t a huge surprise, but every commit in the class is a three-star and he’s starting in the Midwest and working his way out. Northwestern is right up here with the Gophers as well with double-digit three-stars.

Rough start: Illinois – Remember when everyone was excited about the hire of Lovie Smith? Not me, as I felt he would struggle recruiting after so much time away from the college game. With two commitments, neither of them highly coveted, this hasn’t been a great start.

Recruiting battle to watch: Penn State vs. Ohio State and Michigan – We all know all eyes are on Jim Harbaugh and Meyer, but Penn State is in the mix for many prospects both of those programs covet as well and have won its share of battles.

Must keep: OL Jackson Carman – The best offensive lineman prospect from the Midwest in years? Perhaps if he can get back to his playing weight and shed some offseason pounds. A huge must-keep for the Big Ten? No doubt and most feel Ohio State will lock him up.

Do or die: Michigan StateMark Dantonio isn’t on the hot seat, but after last season’s debacle and some off-field issues, he needs to get some serious recruiting momentum back. With schools like Kentucky hurting them in Ohio and Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State battling the Spartans in the Midwest, this is an important recruiting year, and they need some recruiting upsets.

Reactions: blackoliveguy7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News