ADVERTISEMENT

BBall Recruiting Ben Carlson takes in a Minnesota practice (article)

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
The 2019 Class in the state of Minnesota has gotten attention nationwide. Thus far, the top in-state talent has left for schools like Stanford and Wisconsin, but Richard Pitino is fighting hard to keep the likes of Matthew Hurt, Zeke Nnaji, and David Roddy at home.

Next year's senior group will offer no fall off. Currently there are four players ranked in the top 100 nationally in the Class of 2020 from Minnesota.

One of the highest priorities in that group is the 6-foot-9 forward from the Twin Cities, Ben Carlson. He is rated as a four-star prospect by Rivals, and is ranked No. 52 overall.

Corey Evans described Carlson's game over the summer by saying, "He is one of the best frontcourt prospects in his class nationally. Carlson’s feel for the game in the low and high post area, ability to shoot the perimeter jumper and also defend his basket is evident."

Evans also wrote, "Carlson is an impressive big man that can score in the post, facing the basket to 20-feet and also defend his basket as a rim protector."

He finished by saying Carlson has "elite grades and a relatively polished skill set."

That unique combination has led to offers from a combination of Midwestern and high academic schools such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Purdue, Northwestern, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Creighton, Stanford, Davidson, Iowa State, Kansas State, and Wake Forest.

Carlson also is staying busy as he starts the process of gathering information on colleges who are interested in him.

His sister plays volleyball at Creighton. While going to see her in August, he also took an unofficial there as well as to Iowa State and Nebraska. He also plans on going to Ohio State this coming Friday, and capping off the trip at Michigan Saturday.

Several schools saw him in an open gym setting last week. He told us that Purdue, Colorado, and Texas will be in to see him Monday, followed by Wisconsin on Tuesday. He added that he expects to see more coaching staffs come in next week.

Carlson took time through the busy process to head to the Minnesota campus Saturday morning and watched the Gophers practice.

"It was a good practice, Carlson told The Gopher Report Sunday night. "I've seen them in an open gym before, but I've never gotten to see them in a full college practice going at that speed and intensity. They were going 100 percent, so that was good to see. It was also good to talk to the coaches and the players. The trip and practice was good."

Carlson described the practice itinerary to us and said there was a reason for the morning's ninety minute theme.

"Coach Pitino said the team didn't play good defense earlier in the week, so they were going to work mainly on that. They did lots of defensive drills and did a lot of shooting. Then they played five on five. The main emphasis was on defense and shooting."

We asked Carlson to share his educated opinion on what some of the talent level looked like.

"They looked really good. They have a lot of good returning talent plus some nice young players coming in. Isaiah Washington had a strong practice. He got to the hoop a lot, and was tough on the fast break and breaking somebody down. The new guard, Marcus Carr, was really good too."

Carlson said he got to speak with the trio of local freshmen, Daniel Oturu, Jarvis Omersa, and Gabe Kalscheur. Carlson added that there was no recruiting talk from the new Gophers, just "small talk, nothing serious. They are all good people."

Watching the practice and seeing the personnel, the Minnesota coaches were able to relay to Carlson where they see him fitting into what they want to do.

"They told me they like my game a lot. They like my versatility. The conversation was more about their team since we were at practice, but they like my versatility a lot and they think I can play multiple positions for them."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News