ADVERTISEMENT

BBall Recruiting Catching up with Sammie Freeman (article)

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
The last time time The Gopher Report caught up with Sammie Freeman, was over the New Years Day holidays. Minnesota assistant coach, Ed Conroy, had come to see him at the Whataburger Tournament.

"It was cool getting to catch up with him and him telling me about how it would be as a freshman attending the University of Minnesota. It sounded legit, so I'm excited about that," Freeman told us afterwards.

At that time, Minnesota was his only high major offer, but he was hearing quite a bit from in-state schools such as Baylorand Texas A&M.

But that doesn't mean he wasn't at the forefront of some exceptional basketball this winter. They finished 30-8 on the season before bowing out in the Regional semi-finals.

Freeman averaged roughly 18 points and 16 rebounds per game. He has also grown over that time as well. The 6-foot-8 low post player is now 6-foot-10 and 225 pounds.

His recruitment has evolved as well. Besides Minnesota, Freeman says he has recently picked up his second offer from TCU. Virginia Tech is also actively recruiting him as well, although they have yet to extend an offer.

Even though his recruitment has changed quite a bit, the one constant has been Minnesota's continuous line of communication. Gopher assistant coach, Kyle Lindsted, has been leading the program's courtship of the Lone Star center.

"He keeps me posted on what is going on there. He lets me know how the season is going and he also tells me how much they would like to have me. I am trying to set up a visit there some time soon."

Freeman said he has gotten to see Minnesota play several times this season and as a big man, he likes their playing style.

"I like their inside players. They rebound well, and they tell me they like how I rebound. They also look for their post players to score. I like the two post look they run."

Freeman also commented on the other two of the top three schools involved in his recruitment.

TCU - "They look at me as a rebounder, but they also want their big men to be able to run the floor and to score inside."

Virginia Tech - "They are a lot like TCU. They like me as a rebounder and a rim-runner, but they say they want to develop me to be more versatile in my game and play out on the floor."

Freeman says he feels comfortable with what the college coaching staffs want him to do due to his game maturing during his senior season.

"I think I played really well for my position this year. I did what my coach needed me to do. My role on the team was to rebound and block shots, and run the floor. I have gotten a lot stronger the last few months and I am confident in my abilities. I have also developed better ways to score. I can now score anywhere from the low post to the high post."

Freeman told us he averaged roughly 18 points and 16 rebounds for Northwest this season.

With his high school career now in the rearview mirror, Freeman is now looking toward the homestretch of his recruitment. He plans on making his final decision around early April, but before then he said he would like to take one or two more official visits. The native of the Dallas area also said it is not a prerequisite for him to stay in the state.

"I am open to go other places."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News