ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Pitino - Please return the guys to fundamentals

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
Coach Pitino has had a tough week, say the least. He has forgotten more basketball than I will ever know but I would think that some things should be essential, considering where they are right now in the season. Whether this is reactive, preventative or both, this is my 2 cents worth.

1. Find out if there is any personal issues between teammates or between teammates and coaches... Have a closed door meeting with just the players then with the coaches to air out and iron out any issues.. This is more than just youth struggling, IMO.

2. Bring in someone or do whatever it takes to teach good defense for a whole practice.. Maybe a fresh face for a few days may ease things up.. Possibly bring in a former player from Pitino's days as an assistant at Louisville or Florida that was a good defender that is in good enough shape to be out there with the guys. Work on a press to get the energy level up... Heck they are giving up easy baskets in the half court defense so if they give it up on a press break, what is the difference?? Gotta change up some things to get that energy level up.

3. In the same vein, find a vocal leader that has some fire in his belly.. Someone that leads with energy. The best way for that to happen is WITHIN the team and not look outside.. We desperately need that type of personality on this team as much as more talented players.

4. Work on nothing but fundamentals including drills.. I ABSOLUTELY HATE when I see HS coaches overcoaching by running a half dozen set offenses in a possession. I watched a coach and this was his possession yeliing "1 UP, no run Indiana, pull it out and run 2nd GUARD, lets run 4 MAN, FLEX!! FLEX!! FLEX".. Drove me nuts... How about working the next practice after defense and rebounding on SHOOTING THE DAMN BALL AND PASSING IT.. Value the possession. If you can score without running a defined set play, so be it. ADD your sets as guys are able to demonstrate the fundamentals of shooting, passing, and footwork including setting screens and rebounding. Though I don't think offense is the problem.

Fundamentals at EVERY LEVEL is going to win games..

Sorry for my rant.. I am getting too comfortable with complaining lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bens71
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News