ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches on the road: 12/3

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Coach Sawvel has an in-home visit with Coney Durr and will also visit South Carolina guard commit Lloyd Cushenberry, who was offered last night. It will be a big in-home visit for Durr, as he likely only has just over a week to decide if he wants to be a Gopher now that Antoine Winfield Jr. has a visit scheduled for next weekend.

Coach Anderson and possibly Phelps will visit Georgia Prep Sports Academy defensive end Taiyon Devers. Devers has fallen under the radar and didn't have a Rivals profile until I created him one just now. You can watch his Hudl here.

Tracy Claeys will visit Arkeem Byrd in-home tonight with Anderson. I'd guess Poore is a part of that troop as well but am not sure at the moment.

Night updates:

Coney Durr -- Talked with Coney tonight and will have a story probably tomorrow. He said he talks with Sawvel pretty much everyday, and over the phone is when the recruiting and football talk happens. Today's visit in school was just to confirm the best time for Sawvel to come over to Durr's house. Tonight at the Durr household, Sawvel's pitch was geared towards Coney's mom, as his dad was on the official visit but his mom wasn't. Coney said she liked everything he had to say and got her questions answered.

Kansas State did not visit him this week, which to me is a little surprising. He said KSU, Tennessee, and South Carolina will all visit him next week. If I remember right, he's been talking with Tennessee on the phone for a couple weeks, and they visited him yesterday. South Carolina visited today and will visit again next week. He said if either offer, he will take an official visit there. He'll wait for those visits to happen next week to see if an offer will come.

What's interesting is that Winfield will be taking an official visit to Minnesota next weekend. I can't imagine there being room to take four cornerbacks in this class, considering they took four last class. Nevertheless, Durr said he and Sawvel talked about a timeline and that he has plenty of time to decide. He said Sawvel would let him know if it came to the point where he really needed to know an answer. Coney sounded as if he has plenty of time to decide. We'll see.

Arkeem Byrd -- Arkeem says that Claeys, Sherels, Anderson, and Reeves were all on tonight's visit. "My Minnesota visit went great. I loved it. We talked about my future, the reason I got offered, and all the great things education-wise I can have at Minnesota. My parents loved the visit! The coaches really gave them an idea of me and Minnesota."

Boston College, Cincinnati, and Wake Forest all offered recently, so I imagine he takes some time to entertain those offers. Colorado State is also putting in a lot of time and effort to get Byrd, and they received an official from him the fall. Minnesota is definitely still in the lead though, and the staff is clearly putting in a lot of work to land him.

Last edited:
Reactions: -TUNDRA-
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News