ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches on the road: 12/9

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Sherels had an in-home visit with Kamal Martin on Monday night. Kamal said it was "great" and that it was mostly a meeting for his parents and to get their questions answered. Kamal is one of many visitors this weekend.

On Tuesday, Sherels went to Woodbury to visit outside linebacker Nico Bolden (Hudl), defensive end/linebacker Kolade Amusan (Hudl), blocking tight end Nate Bursch (Hudl), fullback/defensive tackle Jalen Morrison (Hudl), and wide receiver Jeremiah Coddon (Hudl). Nico Bolden was at the June 7 Senior One Day Camp, and you can read my notes on him in this thread, and Bursch and Morrison were at the July 19 Junior Elite Camp, and you can read my thoughts on them in this thread. Iowa, Wisconsin, and South Dakota State have all been in to see them during this contact period. Big thanks to @Lane Swansson for helping me out here.

Here's what Amusan had to say about Sherels' visit: "It went good. He just told me I am really on their radar, and I'm a scholarship type of player. He really wants me to bulk up this offseason. He also said how Woodbury has the state's most talented 2017 class, and he expects big things from our team next season. It's a good feeling...He likes me best at like a 9 technique, but he wants to see me at linebacker as well. I will no doubt be camping there this summer."

Yesterday, I posted that Sherels was at East Ridge to offer a preferred walk-on spot to Otumos Payemanu. He played quarterback in North Carolina before he transferred to East Ridge, and played QB again this year. He led the team to a 13-2 record and the State Championship game despite the Raptors losing a lot of talent last year. He looked great as a wide receiver during the Senior One Day Camp this summer, but says the Gophers like him best at corner. Jared will have a full story with Payemanu later this week.

Yesterday, Carter Coughlin tells me that Sherels was at his basketball game against Minneapolis South. I heard Coughlin had a big dunk last week, and if I find a video of it, I'll post it. At the game, Sherels also would have seen Minneapolis South defensive end and preferred walk-on candidate Elerson Smith, who did well at a Gophers camp this summer.

Reeves watched Trystan Castillo's basketball game last night, and Castillo says they got to touch base and talk hoops after the game. I would imagine Reeves got to spend valuable time recruiting Castillo's parents last night if he was sitting next to them.

Minnesota continues to put in a big effort for Arkeem Byrd, as Anderson was in again yesterday to see him. Byrd tells me it went well. "He came to my school. It went great! He told me why I'm special to Minnesota, and why it's a great fit." Colorado State visited Byrd on Sunday, and Georgia Tech will be in today to see him. In addition to Georgia Tech, he's picked up offers from Boston College, Cincinnati, Tennessee, and Wake Forest recently, so his recruitment is going to drag on a while, but as of right now Minnesota leads at the moment in my opinion.

I'm assuming Anderson also visited Taiyon Devers. Devers told me he was visited yesterday, and Phelps was in Chicago, so it was probably Anderson who saw Devers. Visits in back-to-back weeks of the contact period is a clear signal of strong interest. Devers is visiting this weekend, and if he's offered, he told me he'll commit.

Sawvel visited Kiondre Thomas yesterday. As I've said before, Minnesota thinks really highly of Thomas. Here's what he told me: "He showed me the scholarship situation, who he expects me to pass on the depth chart. I remind him of a more developed Eric Murray coming out of high school. He wants me to replace him. He told me that I'll play right away if I'm in shape and not lazy. We also talked about what he wants me to do this offseason, and how many people in each position we're bringing in this class." The players he said Sawvel thinks he'll pass on the depth chart were both interesting, as was how many people they're expecting to bring in at each position.

Sawvel is in Louisiana today to for sure see Coney Durr and Lloyd Cushenberry and I'm not sure who else. Cushenberry will be taking an official visit to Minnesota this weekend.

Sawvel will do an in-home visit tonight with recently offered Hinds CC safety Kris Weatherspoon, whom he also visited a week ago, and I reported Monday will take an official visit this weekend.

Yesterday, Phelps visited Amir Watts and Rhashuan Epting. Remember Watts is taking an official visit this weekend. Epting receiving a visit in consecutive weeks is pretty telling that he's next in line or close to next in line for an offer. Here's what he told me about the visit: "Instead of saying I'm a DE, they are going to list me as an athlete, so that opens up things for me more. I'm taking an official either January 16-18 or 22-24 there. Then he also said that this gives me time to get bigger and make a good first impression to the coaches."

Phelps has an in-home visit with Merrick Jackson tonight.

Recent official visitor Garrison Wright has an in-home with Claeys tonight. This visit is obviously huge, as he just picked up an offer from TCU and is visiting there this weekend. With Signing Day a week from today, I believe that if Minnesota is visiting him today, they can't visit again (only one visit per week allowed if I remember correctly). So obviously this is an extremely important visit.

Chase Pine told me earlier today that Minnesota would stop by tomorrow, but now tells me that the Gophers are coming for an in-home visit tonight at 7. Pine's a big-time prospect and even though the Gophers don't need another linebacker, he's a can't miss talent that I don't think they'd turn away. For those of you who forgot, he was the mystery visitor over Halloween weekend who didn't end up coming because of Kill's resignation.

Night update:

Lloyd Cushenberry -- I just got off the phone with Cushenberry and will have a full story probably tomorrow. It was just he and Sawvel on the in-home visit, and the two talked about his visit this weekend. Cushenberry will give Minnesota a chance to flip him, and likes that he could play with Durr and Craighton at the next level. Tennessee is also trying to flip him, and he's visiting there either the second or third weekend of January, I can't remember which.

Garrison Wright -- Wright told me the visit went well, and told me that he'd call tomorrow. His semester just ended, so he recently got home and wants to unpack.

Chase Pine -- Pine's visit with Sawvel went very well. The Gophers are going to put up a fight for Pine. Here's what he told me: "It was a great. The visit was awesome, having Coach come down here to talk to my mom and I about the opportunity I have to go to Minnesota. He answered every question that we asked. He knew everything to say. I'll probably be visiting soon in January."

Merrick Jackson --
821579176.0_standard_352.0.0.gif

enTI33F.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News