ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches on the road: last week of contact period

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
I'll update this thread as I hear more, as I don't think everything has been set up yet. There will certainly be less recruits receiving visits, as you would expect with things getting closer to Signing Day.

Monday
  • A Gopher coach, presumably Phelps, will visit Noah Fant tomorrow at school and basketball practice. There may be more than Phelps on this visit.
  • Reeves will visit Ko Kieft tomorrow in school.
  • Sawvel will do an in-home visit with Antoine Winfield Jr.
Tuesday
  • Miller and Reeves will do an in-home visit with Trystan Castillo. This is a huge visit, as he announces a decision the next day and Missouri is apparently will be his decision. If the Gophers are his last coaches he talks to, there's a chance.
  • Tamarion Johnson will have a Gopher coach watch his basketball game. I would assume it's Reeves or Phelps.
  • Sawvel is visiting longtime target Daniel Thomas, who has picked up some P5 offers. If the Gophers want him, they'll probably have to set up an official visit. Apparently South Carolina is the favorite for Thomas right now, with North Carolina as #2.
  • Sawvel will also visit defensive end Kelvin Lucky. Lucky has received some contact throughout the contact period. It will be interesting to see what happens here, as he's visiting Texas this weekend, and the Gophers would have to get him on campus to land him.
Wednesday
  • Sawvel will see Coney Durr for sure, and I imagine Lloyd Cushenberry too.
  • Johnson will visit DeMarcus Williams.
  • Anderson and Poore have an in-home visit with Arkeem Byrd.
Thursday
  • Jay Johnson will do an in-home visit with Dredrick Snelson.
Friday
  • Sawvel will visit Kiondre Thomas.
Saturday
  • Claeys has an in-home visit with Sam Schlueter.
Sunday
  • Conner Olson has a visit with a Gopher coach, probably Miller.
Other notes
  • I would think that just about all of the staff will be back in Minnesota on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to host the official visitors. Saturday is Junior Day, so they'll for sure all be back then.
  • Kansas cornerback commit Ian Peterson says he'll receive a visit from Sawvel, but that the date is up in the air.
  • Chase Allen told me he doesn't anticipate Minnesota coming. I think we can say that door is closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: dubwa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News