ADVERTISEMENT

Coney Durr and Daniel Thomas update

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Coney Durr hasn't been talking to the media much recently, but I'm hearing that Durr will visit Virginia Tech this weekend. North Carolina still wants Durr bad. They thought he was going to commit on his visit a couple weeks ago, as he was apparently pretty receptive to their message and had/has other commits working him hard. UNC even pressed him to end things and not visit Virginia Tech. North Carolina has strongly, strongly encouraged Durr to tell them yea or nay by Sunday night, but he's their top target right now.

North Carolina thought they could get KJ Sails, but liked Durr so much more that they were willing to wait on Durr and let Sails visit Tennessee this weekend. UNC still feels that they can get Sails if Durr stays committed to Minnesota or flips to Virginia Tech.

It's my understanding that Sunday night will be very significant because North Carolina is kind of demanding an answer out of Durr by then and he'll have also seen what Virginia Tech has to offer. If North Carolina doesn't get Durr, they'll move onto KJ Sails, and then Daniel Thomas is third in line. It's my understanding that North Carolina will press Sails for an answer on Sunday night if they don't get Durr, and if they don't get either, Thomas will be their top option as soon as late Sunday night. The UNC staff is confident they can land Thomas if that happens. The South Carolina offer is completely up in the air right now. Auburn has not extended a committable offer to Thomas, but they're clearly interested if they're bringing him in the weekend before Signing Day. He visits Auburn right after his Minnesota visit.

---

So, to draw everything together from the past week or two...
  • Minnesota, North Carolina, and Virginia Tech all think they'll land Durr. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out. Certainly none of the UNC or VT coaches have as good of a relationship with Durr as Jay Sawvel does. Also remember that Durr's parents will not be going on the VT visit, and they didn't go on the UNC visit either. His parents are of at least some importance because they reason he took so long to decide between Minnesota and Kansas State was because one parent went on one visit and the other parent went on the other visit.
  • Daniel Thomas is going to have a wild end to his recruitment as well. Minnesota has been there the longest and probably developed the best relationship. It's my understanding that Daniel Thomas is a take for Minnesota regardless of how Durr and Lindsey's recruitments end. He's third in line at UNC, so it seems like his offer there won't be committable. I'm not sure how great of a relationship he has there anyway, as the Tar Heels have only been recruiting him for two weeks. South Carolina's offer is up in the air, and he has very strong interest but no offer yet from Auburn. South Carolina has recruited him for six weeks and made a couple in-home visits, while I *think* the Auburn interest is quite recent but I'm not exactly sure with Auburn.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News