Doug Bucshon from OrangeandBlueNews: Jirehl Brock trims list to seven

Littlefinger

The Wisest Fool
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2004
'18 TGR POY
Jirehl Brock trims list to seven

Doug Bucshon • OrangeandBlueNews.com

Four-star running back Jirehl Brock from Quincy (Ill.) trimmed his list of schools to seven over the weekend.

Orange and Blue News spoke to Brock to get his take on all seven programs that made the cut, and find what's next in his recruitment.

One of the top Illinois recruiting targets in the class of 2019, Brock put together a big junior season last fall, rushing for rushing 1,588 yards and 23 touchdowns. He cut his list to Northwestern, Iowa State, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and Indiana.

Brock has been on the road taking some visits this spring, including trips to Iowa, Northwestern, and Purdue. He talked about how he narrowed his list to seven.

“I just looked at what schools continued to talk to me, and I looked at who other teams offered and how many running backs they are wanting to take,” Brock said. “I’ve gotten to know the coaching staff at all of them.”

He now plans a trip to Minnesota this weekend, then a visit to either Illinois or Indiana on May 12. Official visits could be on tap as early as June.

Brock wants to cut his list down to a final five before making his decision prior to his senor season at Quincy.

“I’m going to be picky about a lot of thing getting it down to five,” he said. “Stability is a really big thing to me. I don’t want to go to a school, then the coach and his staff isn’t there the next year. Also, just a place that feels like home.”

Relationships with his potential coaches is also a big consideration for Brock, and he talked a lot about the staffs at each school in his top 7.

IN HIS OWN WORDS
On Northwestern

“Coach Lou (running backs coach Louis Ayeni) was at Iowa State and I built a relationship with him there. When he went to Northwestern, that’s when they really started recruiting me harder. I met Coach Fitz for the first time last weekend, and he’s a really nice guy.”

On Iowa State

“Coach Campbell has been at one of my basketball games, and every time I talk to him it’s a good experience. Coach (Nathan) Scheelhaase is the one that offered me at Illinois. When he got to Iowa State that was an eye-opener for me because I already had a relationship with him.”

On Purdue

“I visited there not that long ago and met all the staff and got to see their facilities. Coach (running backs coach Chris) Barclay has kind of been the person that I talk to the most from there. The relationship I have with him is strong. Coach Brohm has been doing great there.”

On Illinois

“Coach Lovie Smith is down to earth. When you talk to him, he is a calm guy. He’s an old school guy, who knows what he’s talking about from coaching in the NFL. Coach (Thad) Ward made it a point to me that they really want me on their team.”

On Iowa

“Coach (tight ends coach Lavar) Woods is the one I talk to the most and comes to see me all the time. I’ve gotten to know their coaches more and more lately. Coach Ferentz is a guy who has been around the program for a long time. A lot of their coaches have played or coached there.”

On Minnesota

“Coach (Kenni) Burns, the running backs coach, I go to church with his mom. I know about him before any of this started happening. I talk to Coach Fleck a lot and he’s a very energetic guy. I can’t wait to see their facilities and everything.”

On Indiana

“Indiana is probably the school out of the seven that I have talked to the least. Coach (running backs coach Mike) Hart is a guy who has really been trying to get me there. If you put in that kind of effort to get me there, then I’m going to try my best to visit. That’s the reason I have kept them in the loop.”

https://edgytim.rivals.com/news/jirehl-brock-trims-list-to-seven

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News