ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN guy ranks all the Game 7's in baseball history

#coolstorybro

Mar 2, 2007
#1: 1960 WS - Mazeroski's WS walk-off
#2: 1991 WS - Jack Morris
#19: 1987 WS - Twins over Cardinals

It's one man's opinion, and I cannot really argue with #1, #2. But let me play a biased devils advocate for why Morris and 91 should be #1.

First,

As Schoenfeld readily admits in his blurb about Morris' performance:

"...Morris' performance grows more heroic by the year: Since his 10-inning shutout there have been only eight complete games thrown in the World Series..."

Second,

The 1960 game was a back and forth 10-9 slugfest. Mazerowski's HR was preceeded by 18 other runs scored. 1991's performance by Morris was against the backdrop of a scoreless game, where one mistake on either side was going to be difference.

Lastly,

Let me ask you this...what's more likely to happen again...a 10 inning shutout in the World Series, or a walk-off hit/HR?
Since 1991, I can remember 3 walk-offs in World Series history...1993...Joe Carter's HR...1997...Edgar Renteria's game winner against Cleveland, Luis Gonzalez's off of Mariano Rivera in 2001. Not one shutout since 1991, let alone a 10 inning performance. Add to that, the 1991 Game 7 involved Morris' performance and Gene Larkin's walkoff hit...2 for the price of 1

I'm obviously a bit biased...you can juggle 1-2-3 in just about any order and not get too much complaints, but 1-2-3 involves 2 walk-off hits and one game involving a 10 inning shoutout AND a walk-off hit

All 36

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News