ADVERTISEMENT

Gopher Basketball - Novel Lineup Change Suggestion

alanschroeder

Aug 22, 2015
Maryland
I have attended the last two Gopher Basketball games - Maryland and Ohio State - and, after watching the Gophers' performances, have wondered about what I would do to attempt to change the trajectory of the team. I do not pretend to be a master basketball tactician, but I have some understanding of what occurs during basketball games.

My recommendation is that Coach Pitino just stop playing Konate and Diedhiou. After deciding that the two will not play, Coach Pitino and his staff should fIgure out who the starters should be and the rotation, as well as how the team will best compete on offense and defense.

I am serious. If I were coach, I would try it. Before explaining my rationale, I ask that posters and mods respond with alternatives, comments and criticisms.

Now my rationale: After watching the Penn State game on television and attending the Maryland and Ohio State games, I have concluded that (i) Konate and Diedhiou are worse for our offense than if we played four players and (ii) they barely contribute on defense and contribute less than other players on the team would. So let's play five players other than them and see how that works.

Before my simple-minded critique of their play, let me describe what I saw happening in each game:

Gophers on Offense: All three opposing coaches entered his respective game knowing that Konate and Diedhiou are not threats on offense. The difference is that two of the coaches - Maryland's and Ohio State's - realized after watching a bit of their games that Konate and Diedhiou are so weak on offense that they can and should literally be ignored. Thus each of Maryland and Ohio State, after a portion of the game, switched to a defense where they put pressure on the other four Gopher players at all times - thus the Gophers' poor shooting - and in effect played zone with its center - thus all the Gophers' drives to the basket were contested. They both just ignored Konate and Diedhiou. They did not even bother blocking them out to prevent them from getting rebounds. So, once the change was made, the Gophers, in effect, played four on five on offense; but it was worse than that, as Konate and Diedhiou got in the way of the Gophers running their offense. I think Murphy would be double teamed far less. Here is how jarring the play was when the two coaches made the change: Ohio State went on a 24-2 run after trailing by 20-10. The Maryland game went from a tight game to one where Maryland went on a big run and then maintained a 10 to 15 point margin the rest of the way. The Penn State coach probably realized the same thing about Konate and Diedhiou, but did not act drastically enough.

We would be better if it was five on five when the Gophers are on offense. Sit Konate and Diedhiou.

Gophers on Defense: I realize that it may seem the Gophers might be weakened on defense by not having the taller players, and on some plays they might be. However, I think the Gophers' defense will improve without Konate and Diedhiou if they have five players who are coordinated, can guard their opponents, and can rebound, traits which Konate and Diedhiou do not have. Look at the scoring of the men Konate and Diedhiou supposedly guarded; more important, look at the number of blocks and rebounds they had - not very many. In my view, neither Konate nor Diedhiou contribute much defensively and will not be missed.

Critique of Konate's and Diedhiou's play: Neither participates in the offense except to set meaningless high screens, and they set them poorly and are often moving. Their teammates rarely pass to them, and when they do, neither Konate nor Diedhiou catches the ball, generally. Neither scores nor rebounds on either offense or defense. When Konate happens to get the ball in his possession, he promptly loses it if challenged. If either is fouled and shoots free throws, he misses. On defense, neither is able to guard his man adequately. They do periodically block shots, but not enough to outweigh their liabilities. And, most important, they do not rebound.

The best things that will happen if Konate and Diedhiou do not play is that the Gophers' offense will open up and be much improved. Our opponents will have to guard all five players. The middle will open up. We will have more open shots and be able to drive to the basket easier. Perhaps most important, the other players, who are basketball players, will have more fun and get more joy from playing offense, as they will score more and be able to play a team offense. If Konate and Diedhiou continue to play, Coach Pitino will lose the team even more than he has, in my view.

Plus, sitting Konate and Diedhiou would give playing time to players who will be on the team next year.

If nothing else, it's worth a try.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News