ADVERTISEMENT

Gopher Volleyball Recruit Rankings

MNBob

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
The top 100 volleyball recruit rankings (high school seniors) came out this week. The Gophers have the #1 and #3 recruits in the country this year's senior class. Taylor Landfair, a 6'4" outside hitter from Illinois, is the #1 recruit. Some people on Volleytalk think the #2 recruit is better, but I have heard someone say Landfair will be the Michael Jordan of volleyball. This may be an exaggeration, but she is a tremendous athlete. Jenna Wenaas, a 6'1" outside hitter from Texas, is the #3 recruit. She was one of two high school players on the U20 national team this year. I believe the Gophers have never had a recruit higher than #4 in the PrepVolleyball rankings, which I have followed for over 15 years. Next year's class will also have the #16 recruit in the country. Melanie Shaffmaster is a 6'4" setter from Indiana. The ranking service wrote that she may be undervalued because she played multiple positions for her club and high school teams.

The Gophers may have the #1 recruiting class in the country. Some of the posters on Volleytalk are complaining about the ranking system. They feel that the top 15 recruits are close in ability, and would be comparable to 5 star recruits in football. They are pushing for a star system like Rivals and others use for football and basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News