ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights from postgame presser

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Tracy Claeys
  • It's been a long time since we've gotten out with that good of an offensive start. Didn't plan on the penalties but Mitch threw the ball well. Very pleased offensively.
  • It was hard for McCrary to get an opportunity the first game. He's done well in practice too, no surprise with his performance. He'll have a bigger role as we'll move forward.
  • On leaving starters in: "I think you need to play through three quarters; that's just my opinion." Cited conditioning and needing snaps.
  • Didn't think defense played with as much energy as they could have. "They need a reminder...Disrespectful to those who have played before."
  • On kickoffs out of bounds: "I told Emmit to go out early and figure out what the hell the wind's doing."
  • Carpenter's success on field goals allows the offense to take more chances.
  • Dior Johnson, Tamarion Johnson, and Ray Buford are suspended, in addition to KiAnte Hardin.
  • Kamal and Carter were around the ball a lot. They missed some tackles, but they can play. Looking forward to their continued growth. "Those two kids can make us better on defense."
  • Vincent Calhoun and Andrew Stelter could have returned from their injuries.
Jalen Myrick
  • We played good. It was a good, dominating game.
  • Sees himself as a leader of the defensive back group.
Kobe McCrary
  • Offensive line was getting a lot of push.
  • "It was a dream" to have a performance that he did.
  • Models his game after Le'veon Bell.
Mitch Leidner
  • Some of the pre-snap mishaps was from Indiana State clapping. The message then was to just stay positive.
  • Offense a bad taste in his mouth after last week.
  • Everything McCrary does is so similar to David Cobb.
  • Indiana State was dancing on the 'M' before the game, and their head coach said Minnesota is no different than an upper-level FCS team on the radio before the game.
  • Took so little hits that "it doesn't even feel like I played in a game."
Drew Wolitarsky
  • Preparation was the reason for the big performance.
  • "No doubt ready" to replace KJ Maye. Worked all offseason and "it wasn't easy."
  • Not sure where they heard about Indiana State coach's comments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News