ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops recruiting target resurfaces

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
David and I are told that Keyontae Johnson is a "priority target." Remember, Johnson was offered quite a while ago and was a prospect Minnesota was frequently in touch with. That buzz seemed to die down when Gabe Kalscheur committed.

What's interesting about this is that Keyontae is not really a ball handler, although he's still a shooting guard that has quite a bit of a different playing style than Gabe Kalscheur. But still...not a ball handler. Johnson is the athletic, slasher type that's ridiculously long (told 6'11" wingspan today, not sure how true that is) and a great defender.

Johnson just visited Wichita State and he has a visit to Georgia Tech set for the weekend of October 6. He's also been talking to Ole Miss and Vanderbilt a lot. I'm not sure who else.

This is a unique recruitment to follow because Keyontae doesn't really talk about his recruitment to the media, and from my understanding, doesn't really talk about his recruitment to his coaches or college coaches either. Also, his recruitment was on hold until his father came home from the Navy on August 21.

Minnesota did an in-home visit with Keyontae about a week ago and we're told it went "pretty well." Minnesota is shooting for an early October visit because by then Eric Hunter will likely have made his decision.

Where does Johnson stack up compared to Hunter and Nelson? He's for sure behind Hunter. Not sure about Nelson, but I don't necessarily think it matters because there's competition for both. It's strange to me that Nelson does have an October official visit set yet.

Here's the last story we did on Johnson: More teams join Minnesota in pursuit of Johnson after Peach Jam

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News