ADVERTISEMENT

I am not sure if LeBron "gets it"

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
When people compare 'greatness' in the last 30-40 years, the players mentioned are usually players like Dr J, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan with LeBron. With Magic and Larry Bird, that was probably where the game started moving from the great bigs of the past to an emphasis on players away from the basket. Magic, Bird, then Jordan understood the moment and WHEN to take over a game.

I cant remember how many times the Boston Garden started getting a bit excited with a run, then Bird would hit a 3, which was a nail to the coffin to an opponent.. Or the Lakers the start to get on a roll where Magic would start putting the game away with a great pass or a strong drive to the hoop.. Jordan would just take the game over when the Bulls needed him for the win.

I have always argued that LeBron is more similar in his game to Magic than Jordan except MORE ATHLETIC.. Magic had the smooth passing but also Magic had more talent to work with around him. Probably the same with Bird. LeBron is as good of an athlete as there ever was with his size and speed with his skill. BUT WHAT LEBRON DOES NOT SEEM TO GET IS WHEN AND HOW TO TAKE A GAME OVER IN THE FINALS!

The Cavaliers dont have the talent like the Lakers and Celtics did with Magic and Bird. Those guys had real smart players to work with so that accentuated the abilities of Magic and Bird.. The Bulls had smart talent around Jordan as well.. LeBron does not have that though Kyrie Irving is pretty good... Kevin Love misses the fundamentals that the team needs as well.. But LeBron cannot disappear in the 4th quarter.. He has to demand the ball in positions where he can score.. Not just dribble the ball up the court looking for a spectacular move.

LeBron needs to be MORE JORDAN OR BIRD LIKE, in the 4th quarter, as opposed to more MAGIC LIKE..I feel he needs to play more off the ball in the 4th quarter, get in a position, and demand the ball when he has the position and talent advantage over the opponent. When he just driibbles looking for the opening, the defense is too athletic and talented to just be more physical.. Move the ball, THEN GET IT BACK, to make the move.....The Warriors are going to win again but LeBron has to show up in a big way in the FINAL QUARTER to make the Cavaliers a competitive team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News