ADVERTISEMENT

I have serious questions about Wisconsin's basketball recruiting

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
I am not sure I get the numbers with the team, unless they are taking on a ton of walk-ons.

They have 13 scholarships, like everyone else...They have 5 scholarship commitments in the 2020 group with a talk of possibly signing a 6th player.. There is not a word of transfer talk from the players I am going to list as guys returning next year(though that does not mean that someone is not thinking of transferring, behind the scenes). BUT IF THEY ARE CONSIDERING WHETHER OR NOT TO SIGN A 6TH SCHOLARSHIP RECRUIT, THAT MEANS THEY EXPECT 7 SCHOLARSHIP GUYS TO RETURN, AT MOST.. But that leaves a lot of players listed on their basketball roster that must be walk-ons.. But after reading their bio's on Wisconsin's athletic site, I am wondering how that is going to work.

RETURNING SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS NEXT YEAR
Micah Potter
Aleem Ford
Nate Reuvers
Tyler Wahl
Brad Davison
Kobe King
Dmitrick Trice(he has a year eligibility yet, if he wants)

2020 recruits
Lorne Bowman PG
Jonathan Davis F-G
Jordan Davis G
Steven Crowl C
Ben Carlson F

WALK ONS
Joe Hedstrom 7-0 C
Owen Hamilton 7-0 C
Courtland Cuevas 6-5 F
Samad Qawi 6-6 F
Trevor Anderson 6-2 G
Walt McGory 6-3 G
Carter Higginbotthom 6-2 G
Michael Ballard 6-4 G

THAT IS 20 or maybe even 21 PLAYERS, POTENTIALLY, ON THE BASKETBALL ROSTER(including walk ons) though I know that some of those Walk-Ons probably wont play plus there will be redshirts. Is there any other team that has that many guys available to a program?? Seems odd that 2 walk-on 7 footers would be on a squad.. Trevor Anderson and Walt McGory seem to be good enough players to get scholarships at other D1 schools but are walk ons at Wisconsin...Hedstrom just had knee surgery and is out for this year. . Just something doesn't seem right, even if some of the guys redshirt next year. Can any of you reconcile the numbers or are there just a lot of guys that want to walk-on at Wisconsin?? 5 of the 8 walkons in the Badgers program will be seniors next year, but that really won't affect their scholarship situation unless Greg Gard gives the open scholarship to one of the walk-ons.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News