ADVERTISEMENT

If Stull is indeed committed to the Gophers, got to give recruiting props to Pitino.

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
I am sure that lots of credit will be given to Ben Johnson for the 3 Minnesota guys, Gabe Kalschuer, Daniel Oturu, and Jarvis Omersa..But I think as fans that we ought to give Richard Pitino as much credit for a good recruiting year as the criticism that he has received in the past.

When Ben Johnson left, the Minnesota kids stayed with the program..If Johnson was the key to their recruitment, then it would have made sense for those 3 guys to look elsewhere.... Pitino got a good combo guard in Payton Willis(which, on paper, looks like the most questionable transfer accepted) and a budding star in the ACC who transferred in, Marcus Carr. That alleviates the PG problem for a few years, assuming that Washington stays and no injuries occur to either Carr or Washington... Pitino got outside shooting in Kalschuer and Stull besides the fact that they provide a bit of size at the wing guard. Pitino got size in Oturu as well as athleticism.. Omersa is very athletic as well.. Stockman has size and even if he turns out to be a stiff, we only have him for a year. I think Pitino has done awesome in recruiting.

I do know there will still be questions to answer as far as actually coaching the players.. I don't think we can predict next year, with any accuracy, with all these new guys though the potential is exciting. On paper, we have better talent but they have to play together for awhile to see how they do. Coaching is a legitimate question but recruiting talent for this year should be praised.. GREAT JOB, COACH PITINO!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News