ADVERTISEMENT

INTERESTING STORY IN REGARD TO EVALUATING A GOOD COACH

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
In Ohio, Cincinnati St Xavier won the Division 1(BIG SCHOOL) state championship when they beat perennial state power Cleveland St Ignatius in 3 overtimes.... What is interesting is that Cincinnait St Xavier entered the state playoffs with a 5-5 record, which is the worst record ever to eventually win a state title in Ohio.. Then they ran off a string of 5 state playoff wins to get the state title..... What is funny is that during the regular season, St Xavier was 4 plays away from losing 4 more regular season games. They could have easily been 1-9, had those plays not went in St Xavier's favor, and not made the state playoffs.. 4 plays were the difference between state championship and a 1-9 record.

Same is true in other sports.... Coach K had a declining and LOSING record at Army when he took the Duke job in basketball, then weathered a bad start where they were talking about firing him after his first couple years... Now, he is an institution in the college basketball game. In college football, I know that Dave Clawson at Wake Forest and Matt Campbell at Iowa State are at dead end jobs, historically..Both are great guys and I feel are great coaches. They may surprise and have winning records at those schools but those places, HISTORICALLY, have burnt out some good coaches over the years. At Iowa State, Dan McCarney has the wins record for the school at 57 and it took him 11 years coaching to do it. If either Clawson or Campbell make it past 7 years at those respective universities, I will be completely shocked. I will be incredibly impressed if they can get a record that is .500 or better... Regardless, those guys are great coaches and worthy of being looked at by bigger schools than they are at now. Coaches cant just wave a magic wand and recruit as well as Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, or whoever. Especially if there are no resources to support the program(not just money). I say that if Minnesota is looking for a coach down the line or not.. The difference between championships and losing records is not always that great of a difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News