ADVERTISEMENT

Is the Big Ten really 'down' this year, in basketball??

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
The Big Ten has 3 teams in the top 10.. No other conference has that distinction.. Top heavy??? Maybe.. I still think Michigan and Nebraska will sneak in the tourney besides Michigan State, Purdue, and Ohio State.. There were probably years that the NCAA would have taken more Big Ten teams but all in all, I don't think it was a horrible year compared to other conferences and their teams.

CREATING MY OWN THREAD BEND!!!! IN THE "QUIRKY TRIVIA THAT NO ONE ELSE CARES EXCEPT VIFAN" category, I will give you a couple of weird trivia things.. 3 teams from Ohio are in the top 10 nationally(Xavier, Cincinnati, and Ohio State)... Xavier and Cincinnati are in the top 5.. Did you know that they set the quirky record of being the 2 closest D1 basketball schools that were simultaneously ranked in the top 5??? CIncinnati and Xavier are roughly 2 and a half miles apart. Joggers run from one campus to the other and back for a 5 mile jaunt to start the day, in many cases. Many would think that the Philadelphia colleges or maybe Chicago's New York's, or Boston's schools would be closer to each other... They are but not ranked in the top 5 at the same time..BTW, there have been 2 teams ranked #1 and #2 from the same city.. UCLA and USC were ranked #1 and #2 at the same time, one year.

As a weird addendum to my last paragraph, the 2 closest d1 basketball schools PERIOD are Northeastern and Boston University, I believe. I learned that watching hockey, I think.. The schools are roughly 3/4 of a mile apart driving and a half mile apart as 'the crow flies'.... Because of traffic and traffic lights in Boston, it is actually faster at times to walk between campuses than it is to drive,from what I heard. They are both near Fenway Park so if you are up there to see an afternoon game of the Red Sox in the spring/summer/fall, you can stretch your legs by walking from one campus to the other..Trust me when I tell you that some interesting people historically have attended either one college or the other(Boston U or Northeastern). If you go north of that area towards Cambridge, MIT is exactly 1 mile from the Harvard campus, which makes for an easy walk as its a straight shot from one to the other. In generalities, people from the northeast are not 'my cup of tea' but visiting the cities like Boston, New York, and Philadelphia are very very interesting and these happen to be quirky trivia facts about their colleges.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News