ADVERTISEMENT

BBall Recruiting Jalen Suggs talks about his "hometown" offer

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
When one talks with Jalen Suggs, there are so many different directions the conversation could go, that it's hard to know where to start.

The rising junior from Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis is ranked No. 10 by Rivals in the Class of 2020 in basketball, and is also the sixth ranked dual-threat quarterback nationally. He has an offers from the likes of Ohio State, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska.

He had a very busy June. Around two dozen schools called him on the fifteenth, when college coaches could directly contact 2020 prospects for the first time. He also helped the United States National 17U team bring home the Gold Medal in Argentina.

We, along with a couple of other media outlets, caught up with Suggs after Grassroots Sizzle's final game last weekend at the Under Armour Challenge in Cartersville, Georgia. He spoke about his position, recruitment, reclassification, Team USA, and choosing between the two sports.
TGR: Do you see yourself as a shooting guard or a point guard at the next level?

JS: "I like the idea of both. Lots of coaches have me at a combo guard. At Team USA, I was more of bringing the ball up the court. Here, I kind of am the offense. I come off the picks. I bring the ball up. Either will be fine. Coming in with a point guard will be fine. It would take pressure off me to get up the floor, get in my spot, then get to the ball where I want it. If I don't go to the point guard, then that's fine too. Either one is fine with me."

TGR: Which position is ideal for you?

JS: "I don't think either one is more ideal, as long as I've got the people that want to play with me. That is the one thing I really need to have a supporting cast around me that really wants to get a win and will do anything it takes to win."

TGR: Do you talk to any other players in your class about playing together in college?

JS: "Yeah, me and the guys on the USA Team have talked about it a little bit. That would be a lot of fun because we've played together for two years now, and we know each other's games. We all love hanging out with each other. So, when that time comes, we'll make the decision, but right now, I'm enjoying the process."

TGR: Tell us about the experience of playing for Team USA.

JS: "It was special playing with eleven of the best players in the country. They all want to win as badly as you do. The coaches prepare you. We had fifteen gold standards, and you are held to those standards.

Coach (Don) Showalter is an extremely good coach. He is something like 62-0. That's not easy to do. Coach (Scott) Fitch and Coach (Stan) Waterman are all great coaches. I learned a lot from them. Being down there was special, and I hope I get the chance to do it again."

TGR: College coaches could start contacting you on June 15. How many schools did you hear from?

JS: "I really didn't have any offers, but I had twenty to twenty-five schools call. I had everybody from bluebloods to Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Xavier, Baylor, Oregon, UCLA, Cal, and others. It was a busy day, but I love all of that. It's fun. Being able to talk to all of those coaches, getting some in and outs from them. That is more than you can ask for as a player."
TGR: When you said bluebloods, which schools were you talking about?

JS: Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina. It's really fun talking to them. I've always grown up wanting to hear from them. This process, it's a good time, and I can't wait to see where it goes."

TGR: A lot of players are reclassifying now. Have you thought about reclassification to the 2019 class at all?

JS: "We've talked about it a little bit. Since it's there, we want to make sure we're prepared. Me and my dad, we've been focusing on getting better. If you don't get better, you don't get that opportunity."

TGR: Are you feeling any pressure to reclassify and move up?

JS: "No."

TGR: Tell us about the recruiting process with Minnesota. How is that going?

JS: "I've heard from almost Minnesota coach. Obviously, they love me. That's hometown. I'm up there a lot. I know all of the guys on the team. I know the coaches really well. I go up there a lot. So like I said, we have a great relationship at Minnesota. But it's the same as all of the other schools that have contacted me. We are going to build our relationship."

TGR: Is it special that your state school offers you, or is it just another scholarship offer?

JS: "It definitely means a lot. That's where my family is and my friends. That's where I grew up. They're definitely going to be up there when it comes down to decision time. I'm just enjoying the process and continuing building relationships."

TGR: You are an outstanding football player as well. Are you going to play both or are you going to make a decision soon on which one you will play?

JS: "Right now, I'm just playing both. I'm just enjoying the process with both. I'm trying to continue to get better. I'll make the decision when I have to."

Suggs and Grassroots Sizzle are competing this weekend at the NY2LASports Summer Slam in Milwaukee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News