ADVERTISEMENT

Jornell Manns - My evaluation as I saw him play last night

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
Jornell Manns has been "tearing it up" for Mansfield this year... I went to see this Gopher recruit play against the team of another Gopher recruit, Austin Beier, who plays for Toledo St Johns.

Jornell is listed at 6-0 190 but I would like to see a person measure both his height and weight.. Jornell looks more slightly built than that. If I would guess, he would be between 5-10, 5-11 and below 180 pounds..He has a strong wiry build but my guess is that he probably wont be able to carry a lot of extra weight.. Jornell had 290 yards rushing and 7 TDs in his first 2 games as a RB, entering this game.

Jornell is a fluid athlete..He wears number 11.. His movement on the field reminded me of Anthony Carter for Michigan and the Vikings, back in the day.. It looks like he sees the field like a chessmaster would see a chess board.. He makes moves with the ball in his hands that set up blocks well. Does not take a lot of hard hits as he moves with a 'slight of hand' that keeps him from absorbing that big wallop by the defense. Can return kicks and changes pace of his runbacks to keep the punt coverage off balance.

Mansfield started him at RB where St Johns was keying on him... He only had 26 yards on 7 carries tonight.. But Mansfield moved him to receiver which is an area he looks very comfortable..He ended up with 6 catches for 121 yards and 2 TD receptions...But before they moved him to receiver, the Mansfield starting QB got hurt at the 6:13 mark of the 2nd quarter.. Mansfield then put Manns at QB... The timing was off on his throws and the most successful thing was to watch Manns scramble and run... He is fun to watch with the ball in his hands..That lasted 2 series before Mansfield used another QB and Manns went to WR..

Manns has that good burst on his cuts in pass patterns and ran a beautiful post route for a long gain.. Manns catches the ball very well with his hands and 'relaxes his hands' in a good way to catch the ball when it gets to him.. He is a VERY PATIENT PLAYER.. St Johns took a 26-7 lead before Manns scored 2 TDs on passes of 40 and 34 yards in the 4th quarter..He does not have the sense of panic at all in his game. Looked as controlled being down 26-7 as being in the game at 26-21 ALWAYS seems to be in control of himself on the field. He is emotional but just very good in the clutch. Good person to run a jet sweep. I could see him playing outside or in the slot.

I am impressed with Manns as a ball player and will be a good addition to the Gophers.. I think he could contribute immediately if need be. He will put in effort to block on offense and will stick his head in to make a hit on defense as well... He is not afraid to take a hit and will go over the middle if needed. But he adjusts well to the ball in the air and will help his QB if he is in trouble... Best Gopher recruit I have seen this year, so far.

I promise after being disappointed in Erik Gibson's performance that I was not going to be overly positive this week to compensate for last week.. If they are all bad, I would say so. IF they played good, I would say that as well.... I honestly think Gopher fans will like this Manns kid but he will be more in the Demetrious Douglas mold than that of a big receiver. Like him a lot!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News