ADVERTISEMENT

Jud Heathcote passes

Gopher Rube

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2005
To me, he reminds me of the B10 coaching linup when I got really hooked on college basketball. That mid 80's was the golden age of college basketball and the B10 in my opinion. Jud's Michigan st teams and then you had Lou Henson (Flyin' Illini), Gene Keady, the General, Dr. Tom Davis, Bill Frieder and of course Clem. Those were fun Big Ten days.

My high school coach was a huge Bobby Knight fan and he took a few of us from podunk South Dakota to the "city" to see IU play the Gophers at the Barn one year. Luckily that was 1990. We got there early and Arriel McDonald was shooting from about 5 steps from behind the 3 point line and I swear he made about 15 in a row. We sat in literally the top row with our backs against the wall on one end. They announced the starting lineups and all the student section (in the upper deck from what I remember at that time) all stood up and opened news papers and turned around. The place was just jam packed. Then the Gophers came out and proceeded to absolutely massacre Bobby's boys. Burton, McDonald, Coffey, Bond, Newburn, Shikenjanski, Lynch, et al. 108-89...and it wasn't that close. I was pretty much hooked on Gopher basketball from there. (I will say Calbert Cheaney was a fun guy to watch. One of my favorite B10 players.)

So, anyway, Jud's passing reminds me of "the good old days."

Oh, and also....Wisconsin sucked. Just the way God intended.

RIP Jud

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News