ADVERTISEMENT

June 7 Camp Primer

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
The first camp of the year is Sunday from 1-5. It’s Kill's Senior One Day Camp, so the it’s designed for the staff to be able to do live evals on some of the regional prospects they’re looking at. Here are the prospects that have told me will be there:
  • I believe that JD Spielman is the only guy with an offer that will be camping. I think that they already know which position they want him at (slot receiver), but they just want to do another live eval. Spielman was All-State Second Team as a junior and Star Tribune All-Metro. Hudl highlights
  • Amani Hooker is a safety from Park Center who holds offers from Iowa, New Mexico, Northern Iowa, and South Dakota. The staff really hasn't talked with him much despite the Iowa offer, so he might have to blow them away tomorrow to get an offer. Hooker was All-Conference last year and had 34 receptions for 7-2 yards an eight touchdowns on offense, and 53 tackles and 5 TFLs on defense. He was also All-Conference as a sophomore and freshman. GI wrote about Hooker here and here. Hudl highlights
  • Dillon Radunz is a tackle and defensive lineman from Becker with offers from North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota, South Dakota State, and Wyoming. Hudl highlights
  • Nick Kramer is an outside linebacker and defensive end who transferred from Providence Academy to Wayzata. He picked up a Northern Iowa offer as a sophomore and has also been offered by South Dakota. Kramer told me that the staff hasn’t decided yet whether they prefer him as an outside linebacker or 9 tech DE. Kramer was All-Conference and All-Section. He recroded 78 tackles ,15 TFL, 11.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and 5 PDs last year. GI spoke with Kramer here. Hudl highlights
  • Benn Olson is a guard from Burnsville that holds offers from Montana, South Dakota, and South Dakota State. At one point, he told me that he heard from the Gophers weekly. But with four lineman committed, I'd be very surprised if he picks up an offer. Olson was All-Conference this past year. GI spoke with him here. Hudl highlights
  • Connor Novak-Goar is an Eden Prairie defensive tackle with a Northern Iowa offer. With the need for defensive lineman in this class, he'll be watched closely. Hudl highlights
  • Zeke Gueths is from Shawano, Wisconsin, and came to Junior Day with the staff looking at him as a tackle, but the staff is now looking at him as a tight end. He's very athletic; he plays with Wisconsin Playground Warriors on the Adidas Gauntlet circuit for AAU basketball, so I can see why they're looking at him as a TE. He holds offers from Eastern Michigan and North Dakota. GI spoke with him here. Hudl highlights
  • Isaiah Weston is a receiver from St. Michael-Albertville that holds offers from Northern Iowa and South Dakota State. He has great size but needs work on his ball skills. I know the staff has been in touch with him a little bit, so this is an important camp for Weston. Weston was All-Conference this past year. GI spoke with him here. Hudl highlights
  • Foster Conzet is an athletic middle linebacker who recently performed at Wisconsin. He doesn't have any offers. Conzet was All-Conference last year, and recorded 96 tackles, 11 TFL, and four sacks. Hudl highlights
  • Sean Engel, Derrick's brother, is a Chaska receiver with great size and an offer from South Dakota. Engel was All-Conference last year and had 27 receptions for 391 yards and eight touchdowns last year. He ran a 4.74 40 and had a 29.6" vertical jump at the Nike Opening Combine in Chicago. Hudl highlights
  • Kieran McKeag, who I think just won state in shot put, is a middle linebacker from Apple Valley that will be attending.
  • Alex Johnson is a defensive back from East Ridge with a Holy Cross offer. Hudl highlights
  • Michael Griffin is a defensive back from Park that will be attending. Hudl highlights
  • Isaiah Koran is a shifty athlete/running back from North St. Paul. Hudl highlights
Everyone on that list was at Junior Day, by the way.

I'm waiting back to hear from a handful of guys, so this list isn't completely finished. Although there will be a handful of local talent missing. The list below are players who will be camping elsewhere or have selected a different date to camp at Minnesota:
  • Maple Grove OT Kayode Awosika just had his teeth pulled yesterday, so he won't be healed in time.
  • Prior Lake DT Jamahl Johnson will be at the camp next week, not tomorrow.
  • Burnsville ATH Kamal Martin said "I will not be attending, but I definitely plan to be at a Minnesota camp in the future!"
  • Totino-Grace DE Lewis Kidd is just going to the July 18 camp.
  • Maple Grove ATH Isaac Collins will be at the Iowa camp instead.
  • Minnehaha Academy LB/DE Jake Richardson will be at the Illinois camp this weekend instead.
  • Forest Lake OL Patrick Kasl will be at the Wisconsin camp instead.
  • Rosemount LB Dan Monson will only be at the July 18 camp.
  • Robbinsdale Cooper RB LeVonte Taylor will be at next week's camp instead of this one.
  • East Ridge ATH Otumos Payemanu will be camping at Illinois and Northern Illinois this weekend instead. He said he'll be at a Gophers camp in July.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News