ADVERTISEMENT

Kent State Rewind

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Link: Kent State Rewind

I'm not going to pretend to be any sort of elite football mind, but I rewatched the game closely and did my best to put together this "rewind" article. I looked at each of Mitch's incompletions, as well as had some notes on other players.

Leidner - No, he did not have a good day. The line wasn't as bad as it was against TCU, but it should have been better. But also think about the receivers. I challenge you to think about how many times they got yards after the catch. This wasn't something I was looking for when watching the film, but I can only remember one time when anyone got significant yards after the catch, and that was KJ Maye on the fake jet sweep. These receivers just aren't getting separation. He only had two incompletions against Kent State where receivers had significant separation. After rewatching the game, I can say that Mitch wasn't quite as bad as I originally thought, and certainly not all the blame lies on him.

Run game - Like I said, they did a little bit better in pass protection this week, but still have a lot of room for improvement. They've taken a lot of blame for the lack of running game against Kent State, but I don't think it's all on them. I counted eight plays when the line struggled on a run and only three or so when they completely fell apart. That's not terrible at all. The lack of run success I think had more to do with Kent State stacking the box.

I also had notes on Huff, Wozniak, Poock, and more. Check it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: lingopher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News