ADVERTISEMENT

BBall Recruiting Kimani Young's departure and its early impact

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
I believe Kimani Young’s move to UCONN is a huge story in regards to Minnesota’s recruiting. Coach Pitino had seemingly let him set the narrative on which players the program would pursue. Well over half of the 2019 and 2020 prospects were from the New York City/New Jersey area, and Young was the lead man on all of them as far as I know.

It will be interesting to see who Pitino hires as the third assistant coach, but I expect the recruiting strategy to change. None of the current staff with the exception of Pitino have New York City ties, so I expect them to recruit players from other areas now. I also believe we will see a whole new batch of offers, not immediately, but starting later in the month when the coaches can get out and see new talent at AAU events.

Finally, Young was also working on some graduate transfers. The staff has identified a several players and is trying to decide which ones to zero in on. The first option is a ball handling grad transfer. The second could take could very well be a player that would have to sit out a year.

Expect an in depth story from me on Young’s departure and the impact it could have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News