ADVERTISEMENT

Live Blog: Local Media Day

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Tracy Claeys
  • Camp can get long, need to get everyone focused. These first practices will set the tempo for all year long. I'm very pleased with how the summer's gone and the work our team has put in. Seniors have done a great job of leading the team.
  • Talked with volleyball coach Hugh McCutheon and will change up practices. In other countries, they probably spend more time learning behaviors. Competing at a high level and learning should match in practice. Hugh will watch on Friday. Kids are more tired at the end, and that's not the best time to be teaching things. We'll move that to the middle of practice. At the end of practice, we'll do more full-speed competing.
  • Coach Miller met with the strength staff and told them what he would like them to do this summer. It's a lot more demanding and challenging.
  • Nobody's locked in as a starter. We don't make any decisions until we get through about 18 practices. Then you have to. Guys need about ten practices. I tell kids that you don't have to like your roles but I ask that you accept them the first game and do your best. Roles can change.
  • I was just watching some film of Rashad Still, and he made some really big plays last year. There's a big change between freshman and sophomores even mentally. I feel good about our receiving corps, but we have to prove it on gameday.
  • We definitely have to play better on the O-Line, and we don't have much depth there. We need five to step up and play all the time. We have some awfully good freshman and even good redshirt freshman but it's always better to wait a little bit.
  • If someone watches us practice and says it's the same as Jerry Kill, that's a hell of a compliment to me. Kill kept every document in these three-ring binders as he went through the season, and thank God he did. There's personality things that change, but I'm glad he kept those three ring binders. They came in helpful.
  • I'm really excited because Mitch is healthy. He hasn't been healthy in a long time. I'm glad we have him back. We're pretty young at quarterback after that.
  • Our strength staff says the guys up front have had a great summer and great mentality. We bought a new sled to make them work. I know they've been putting in time. Two days a week they were putting in time on their own besides captains' practices. Everyone who's been working with them this summer says there's no question they've made progress.
  • We get awful young in a hurry at safety, but they have the skill to play the position. They get everyone lined up and all the motions, and that's my concern with the young guys.
  • There are no new injuries heading into fall camp.
  • Gaelin and Hank have worked awfully hard this summer. We don't have a lot of depth there, but we have some bigger linebackers that could step in if injuries happen.
  • I'd like to see both Rodney and Shannon on the field at the same time. You have to get the ball to your playmakers in space.
  • Whatever works for a run/pass balance.
  • Kind of all teams are moving towards playing multiple backs. It will get interesting once we get down to the redzone. I don't think with Rodney and Shannon it will be a problem. They have a good relationship and are both extremely talented.
  • I get confused about high expectations. We're first now, some have us last. Hell, I'm glad we play the games. I always say preseason predictions don't win you any games. It's all about who works hard, respects their opponents, and comes to play.
  • I hate to take away games on campus. TCF, it's a great stadium. I would hate to take away anything from our own campus. I think it's great to play here. I think it would be great to host a national championship at US Bank Stadium, as long as we don't lose a home game at TCF.
  • Donnell Greene has to finish up school. I think he finishes today.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News