ADVERTISEMENT

Lynch could be a huge contributor, NEXT YEAR

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
To me, using a player like Reggie Lynch the right way, DURING HIS REDSHIRT SEASON, to benefit the team, would be one way that I could see growth in Pitino as a coach. Lynch could be such a help to our current bigs as he can practice with the guys. All coaches that I know are looking for that 'edge' in motivation, whether off court, in practice, or games.. That is where the Coach Ks, the Izzos, and the Pitino Sr.s of the world separate themselves from their peers. X's and O's are important but a plan to motivate guys in setting goals to achieve, then show them how to achieve it, is the key to all of their successes.

If I was Richard P., I would go up to Bakary, Gaston, and Nwankwo and say "Look, we just got a guy that was nominated for being one of the TOP 25 DEFENSIVE PLAYERS IN THE COUNTRY IN REGGIE LYNCH.....IF YOU CAN LEARN TO SCORE, REBOUND, AND OUTHUSTLE HIM IN PRACTICE, YOU CAN DO IT AGAINST JUST ABOUT ANY BIG IN THE COUNTRY!!!!" That is the motivation or the "carrot on the stick".... The next thing is that Richard P better have a good way to teach those guys how to be able to improve and succeed against Lynch, whether that be taught by an assistant, staff member, former Gopher, former player at Louisville or Florida that Pitino knows, whoever can help the 3 young bigs.

Then I would motivate Lynch to prepare for this season as if he was going to start, even though it is a redshirt year. Convince him that this is going to be what helps this team, going forward. Not let Lynch get out of shape during his redshirt year and keep him motivated so that Bakary, Gaston, and Nwankwo learn how to play against a top defensive center. So much needs to be taught for the young guys including good footwork, catching the ball, boxing out, shielding the ball from defenders, good outlet passing skills, good passing in the halfcourt, good screen setting, being aggressive without fouling, etc. Besides good shooting, getting stronger, and positioning. This off season and next season may measure as an equal to the best contribution that Lynch will give to the team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News