ADVERTISEMENT

BBall Recruiting March 6 basketball recruiting update

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
It appears the Minnesota staff is focusing in on Marcus Carr as they look to fill one of the two remaining open spots. His name was mentioned to me last night and then Corey Evans tweeted this afternoon, "Pittsburgh does remain in the picture for freshman guard Marcus Carr, sources tell Rivals, as he received his release to transfer. Could return to the ACC program, though Minnesota, Marquette, Gonzaga, UCONN, and a handful of others pursue."

In a nutshell, Pitt made an impressive hire from the public relations standpoint in Jeff Capel. He is doing everything in his power at the present time to get Carr and as many as possible of the seven others who received their releases to stay. Carr may be giving him a listen, but I also believe Minnesota as well as several other programs like him a lot. As I have said, the staff loves him, and I expect them to go after him heavily.

Carr is a 6-foot-1 freshman point guard out of Toronto. he He averaged ten points per game this past season. He shot 39.6 percent from the field, and 33.3 percent from deep. He also went for 4 assists per outing compared to 2.8 turnovers.

There isn't anymore news about him than what I have written. I just spoke with Matt Steinbrink of the Pitt Rivals' site, and he says everything is top secret coming out of that program right now.

The Panthers' transfer would sit out one season, and have three years remaining to play.

Elsewhere, Courtney Ramey narrowed his list to ten officially, Thursday night. Minnesota made the cut along with Illinois, Oregon, SMU, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, Ohio State, Missouri, Louisville, and Texas.

The 6-foot-3 point guard out of St. Louis is ranked No. 43 in the Class of 2018 by Rivals.

Ramey's father, Terrell, has apparently assumed control of the recruiting process, and he isn't talking much to anybody. We have tried several times to get in touch with him, but we haven't had any luck. I hear this is par for the course as of late, as the family is being very secretive.

I have spoken to three sources familiar with him and his recruitment, and here is the popular thought. The list doesn't mean a whole lot. Minnesota is probably one of a few schools that have little chance in getting him. The coaches have went to Missouri to see him sporadically, but it appears they see the handwriting on the wall, and don't want to waste time or resources.

I have been told by one source that he thought Texas was the leader until Missouri offered. Even though that was late in the process, it put his home state school directly in the lead. I was told by another person that they believed Illinois had also made huge strides of late and has cracked the top three. Oklahoma State and Ohio State were thought to be the other two programs that might crack the top five.

One thing to keep an eye on is the relationship between Ramey and his AAU teammate Torrence Watson. The top 100 wing is a Mizzou commit. The two have played together since 7th grade and are very close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News