ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Coyle presser summary

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
  • I made a very difficult decision, one that impacts many people. I do not take the decision lightly, and I fully understand people will be critical of that decision.
  • We will honor Claeys and the assistant's contracts.
  • When I came on, I committed to our program being great academically, athletically, and socially and with that as a foundation I will look for the next coach.
  • No reason why Minnesota cannot compete at the highest level.
  • Claeys acted professionally when he was told. Disappointed, but professional.
  • I've conducted two coaches before. It's going to feel like you, but we'll move quickly.
  • I didn't feel pressured from outside forces.
  • You don't want to make decisions based on emotion. I evaluate the program daily, just like I'm evaluated daily. Today felt like the right day to make the decision.
  • This wasn't because of one specific incident.
  • Still can't speak about the case because of the privacy laws that we take very seriously here.
  • What I took into account was what was in the best long-term interest of the program. We have a phenomenal football stadium, Athletes Village, a world class institution.
  • I don't disagree the team wasn't competing at a high level. Academics was going well and we were 9-4. Moving forward, there's no reason why we can't compete at the highest level academically, athletically, and socially.
  • We compete in the best conference in America, in a wonderful state and community. There's no reason it can't be done here.
  • The players have a right to be angry and frustrated. It's a learning experience for all of us; I get that. I hope our students understand that the 'M' never comes off. My goal is that we provide a first class experience for our student-athletes. It's our job to find a leader.
  • I do think I was transparent enough from the get go. Coach Claeys had the information available that I had when we made the decision to suspend the players.
  • I think everyone needs to take a deep breath. It gets me excited about the expectations that we have.
  • Recruiting is such a big part of any program. It's a big piece of our puzzle.
  • People don't get this, but I'm frustrated. We do talk about being first class, living in truth always, the 'M' never comes off.
  • What's disappointed is that we have 700 student athletes. We have teams winning Big Ten championships and going to the Final Four and we're not talking about those things. People don't know this but we're the highest-rated public institution in the country with respect to the academic success of our student athletes, but people don't talk about that.
  • I saw a team that competed. I saw a team that gave up halftime leads, the same thing that you all saw. It was an overall evaluation of the program. We want to find a leader that embraces what Minnesota is all about.
  • I wanted to make the best long-term decision for the health of the football program.
  • It was my decision. I informed President Kaler and our board leadership.
  • I wasn't here when the basketball team went through similar things. What I was brought here to do was bring a culture of excellence and that's what I intend on doing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News