ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Problem

Digits

Jun 14, 2006
I preface this by saying that by no means is the NFL in any sort of immediate trouble as Mark Cuban has suggested. But watching the Colts/Steelers it is clear that a 51-34 game can be very boring. Phil Simms has all but checked out because it is just passing every down and then either a completion or an Illegal Contact call. There was a flag and Simms basically said, "It is either a hold, Illegal contact or maybe a DB looked at someone funny."

The NFL has all but declared that the new version of football is everybody throws for 400 yards and even if you don't we will call a penalty to keep the drive alive of the offense. It really reminds me of watching college baseball in the 90's. You hit the point where you almost root for a non-scoring play, so that there will be some meaning for the plays when there is a score.

I guess if that is what the people want, but I am not so sure it is. TV Ratings are really good for CFB and NFL, but people are starting to not show up to the stadiums. That is usually the first sign of trouble. People will watch or free on TV long after they decide a product isn't worth the ticket price.

I am sure the diehard NFL fans will not agree, but the rules are fundamentally changing the game. For the best? Matter of personal choice I suppose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News