ADVERTISEMENT

NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL..Should they be forced to join a conference??

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
We all know about the huge exclusive TV contract with NBC showing their football games.. Lots of $$$$$$ on the line. Being an independent in football works to their advantage in that case. .Notre Dame is affiliated with the ACC in all other sports except hockey..

When Notre Dame left the Big East in all other athletics, there was some complex negotiation with the ACC in other sports, I believe... If Notre Dame would CHOOSE TO JOIN A CONFERENCE AFFILIATION IN FOOTBALL, IT WOULD HAVE TO BE THE ACC UNTIL 2037... Notre Dame is contractually obligated, in that sense.. The trade off is that Notre Dame play at least 5 ACC teams per year in football through the duration of the contract as long as the ACC does not force Notre Dame to join the conference in football...Notre Dame gets ACC affiliation in all the other sports; the ACC gets some of the Notre Dame financial wealth in football plus the national exposure. . Notre Dame has traditional cross sectional rivalries in football with Michigan, Michigan State, USC, and the military academies and have insisted on keeping the availability of those games. Notre Dame would not have that many slots available in the non conference schedule to play those teams every year, if they joined the ACC.. Notre Dame would lose the money and exposure that those games provide plus lose the NBC TV contract so I am sure it is not worth it for Notre Dame to want to join a conference in football.

The one way that Notre Dame would have 'their hand forced' is if the CFP committee required that teams play in a conference championship to be part of the playoffs.. Then Notre Dame would be forced to join the ACC... I dont see that happening for a variety of reasons but what is your opinion on this?? Does Notre Dame have an unfair advantage in getting to the college football playoffs?? It has not been an issue in the past and they have not made it most years but I have read that some suggest this is true.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News