ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting ***OL GARRETT SEXTON DETAILS VISIT BEFORE COLLEGE DECISION***

Sean_Williams

Staff
Oct 14, 2013
Just days after releasing a Top 4 that included Minnesota, Iowa, Penn State, and Oklahoma, Hartland (Wisc.) Arrowhead offensive tackle Garrett Sexton made a return trip to the Twin Cities for a more in-depth visit with the Gophers.

"I really had some good conversations with their strength coach, Coach (Dan) Nichol and Coach (P.J.) Fleck, and Coach (Brian) Callahan," Sexton noted of his trip. "Me and my family sat down and had some great conversations with them. We watched their scrimmage and during their scrimmage I was able to talk to John Michael Schmitz for about an hour. We were just chatting while we were watching the scrimmage, so that was really good. He gave me a lot of good insight about Minnesota."

Sexton is no stranger to Minnesota, having previously visited for two games during the fall and he can see the progression of the Gophers' program under P.J. Fleck.

"I think they are going to be a really good developmental program. They will be able to develop me into what they want me to be. They've been winning a lot the last couple of years and I think Coach Fleck really has the program moving in the right direction. I think he's turned them around since getting there."

Standing 6-foot-7, 250-pounds with an 85" wingspan, the future offensive tackle was also impressed observing Coach Callahan during practice and seeing the respect the players show him.

"I think Coach Callahan really has their techniques sound. He really seems like he knows what he's doing just watching the drills they were doing. The players just show a lot of respect towards him and they work really efficiently together. I think they rely on each other a lot and that is what every good offensive line needs."

For Sexton, Saturday's visit to Minnesota was more in-depth than the previous trip, which was very important as he nears his college decision that is currently set for May 1st.

"We really got to see the campus, which was great. I want to study business, so we went to the Carlson School of Business and my family and I got to meet with a professor there, which was great. They have a great business school and a great school overall there. I know I would get a great degree too if I went there."

Minnesota, Iowa, Penn State, and Oklahoma have been able to separate themselves throughout Sexton's recruiting process for one big reason...relationships.

"The biggest thing for me is the relationship with the coaches. That's honestly why all these four schools made the Top 4. I talk with these coaches on a consistent basis and I like them a lot from the position coach to the head coach to the strength coach. That's probably the biggest thing for me."

Up next for Sexton before making his college decision will be a visit to Oklahoma on April 22nd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News