ADVERTISEMENT

Our one big chance

fencejumpers

Dec 30, 2002
Sioux Falls
I have a theory. I really feel like the expectations of how this year set up and the thought that this was our "one big chance to have a magical season" . . . has really done wonders on the pscyhe of a large chunk of regular Gopher fans, and created what has been described as a malaise and lack of normal interest as has been described on this board and elsewhere.

The fact that we entered the season with a very manageable schedule (first time in a long time), returned a senior qb, and had a solid Defense returning, led to very heightened expectations including myself. Then football and life happened. Our senior qb not only didn't take a good step forward in progress, he took a step backward. The wide outs didn't help him with multiple drops and an inability to get regular separation. We lost one of the most significant players on offense coming into the year, with Lingen hardly playing. We lost our 2nd and 3rd CB's for significant stretches to off field issues. Both coordinators had non-football interruptions with the loss of both of their fathers. Team has to deal with Sherels life-threatening illness and his absence early.

Football also happens and we lose 4 close and winnable games that could have turned on a play or two. Penn St. loss in particular was very painful as they had to create a semi-miracle to get it to OT and win (I painfully re-watched the 3rd and 10 play where the obvious hold on Huff is not called and McSorley and WR connect on a desperation play to save the game). We have 4th quarter leads in all 4 losses, and somehow lose all of them. I am reminded of how much football can be a game of inches, and how quickly a change in momentum to alter the game, especially on the road. The could of beens will haunt the team, coaches, and fans for a long time.

I don't outline this as excuses as some will likely point out, but just to highlight how and why this season has been harder on the fans than normal. Because of the incredibly long drought of "magical" seasons, the fact that it didn't happen as many hoped and/or expected really hit hard IMO.

It has hit so hard, that I think we have lost some context with how this season played out. It has been repeated on here ad nauseam how we didn't beat anyone significant: But consider how long it has been since we have had a season where:

1) We swept the non-conference schedule;
2) We beat all the bottom half Big 10 teams without any slip-ups;
3) Every game was competitive with a reasonable chance to win and no blow-out losses (+ 2 TDs).

The last time the Gophers had a season where that occurred? 1999, almost 20 years ago. Before that? 1968, almost 50 years ago.
We have transitioned as a fan base to where the Illinois, Purdue games are not only winnable, but where there is no way we should lose to those teams. I attribute that to the brick by brick development that has occurred with this staff. I certainly wanted more for this season and disappointed we didn't get there. I am getting tired of the "accepting mediocrity" straw man position that is becoming almost automatic if you didn't want Claeys and staff fired. However, ultimately I don't believe this was "our one chance" and think 8-4 is our ceiling, and have reasonable hopes that we should be in the mix of the west division every single year.

Just my theory, you don't have to buy in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News