ADVERTISEMENT

Perfecting a More Basic Offense?

goldenfan

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2011
Mitch said in a recent media session:

On his comfort level under Jay Johnson...
"One thing that makes me more comfortable with the offense is that, you know we’re not putting in brand new plays. We are changing up the motions in a formation and running certain formations with different guys, but it’s a lot of the same concepts, which as a quarterback I think helps because you know which throws to make against which coverages. Before that (last year) we’d but in ten new plays every Tuesday and had to learn to execute them in four days, so that’s a big change for us."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ten new plays every week? That's a lot of new plays over a BIG season of 9 games!

Sure didn't sense that from Limey last year...seems like it was mostly RUTM and then throw it. If there were ten new plays in every week, very few were actually executed successfully imho.

Apparently Johnson wants a lean offense run at a high level of efficiency, productivity and perfection.

Will this approach simply too basic and predictable in the BIG as Limey/Kill discovered?

Obviously this strategy was wildly successful for years in Packerland with Vince Lombardi, but I wonder if it will work for the Gophers to get them were they want to be in terms of offensive production.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News