ADVERTISEMENT

Football **PFF Grades vs. Northwestern**

Alex Carlson

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
Recapping the top performers on offense and defense for Minnesota in Saturday's 41-14 win over Northwestern, according to Pro Football Focus analytics.

PFF Ratings Reference:

- 60-70 = average numbers for college
- 71-84 = above average to great starters
- 85+ is elite

Top Five Offensive Performers with at least 20 snaps:

Tanner Morgan - 86.9
Mike Brown-Stephens - 78.6
John Michael Schmitz - 70.5
Ky Thomas - 68.6
Mar'Keise Irving - 66.5

- Tanner with a tremendous game. His accuracy and decision making was on all game plus his rushing touchdown will help defenses in the future respect his running game. One bad throw was all I counted on the late first half interception but other than that, he did exactly what was needed.
- Michael Brown-Stephens is growing into a playmaker before our eyes. His development has been fun to watch.
- Two freshman running backs continue to impress. Their opposite styles compliment each other nicely and they get better each week.

Top 5 Defensive Performers with at least 20 snaps:

Thomas Rush - 78.7
Boye Mafe - 72.1
Justin Walley - 70.9
Esezi Otomewo - 68.3
MJ Anderson 64.2

- Boye Mafe continues his excellent season. Four of the top five defense grades being on the defensive line is an encouraging sign of their development and the depth of this group.
- Justin Walley with the best defensive back grade of all. He had 53 snaps at corner while Terell Smith only had three snaps and Phillip Howard only had six snaps. He has taken over that starting corner spot.
- The second down game for Tyler Nubin with a 49.9 grade. I'm not quite worried about him yet after he started so strong. I think that has just been how the game script as gone. Also, when I watched the defensive film I didn't notice him playing poorly at all, so I'm not going to read too much into it yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News