ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 09/03

Alex Carlson

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
Sid opened asking about the lack of running game in the first game against Buffalo. PJ responded that he wasn’t upset, that they kept things very basic, and eventually the carries went from 1-2 yard gains to 3-4 yard gains, and in the 2nd half the backs starting breaking 10-15 yard runs. Both of the running backs had over 70 yards. “We did what we had to do to win the football game.”

On the two quarterbacks, “I thought we executed well at times, and I thought we missed some opportunities. I was really proud of the performance of two guys who haven’t played much before. They made one critical error in the interception on the goal line, but that was it. You don’t know what you’re going to get, but I was pleased with their poise.”

Fleck said the offensive line must play better, and that across the whole team, inexperience showed. After a game, it gives the coaches data to analyze, and then we have to get better as a whole team.

The interception in the end zone was the one critical error by the quarterbacks in the first game. We also dropped a few interceptions and missed a couple field goals. “We have to be able to clean all that up. We have to be able to find more playmakers around Tyler (Johnson). It can’t just be Rodney (Smith) and Shannon (Brooks). That is what we’re figuring out.”

Sid mentioned that there are only a few returning starters from last year’s defense. PJ again re-iterated that last year has no connection to this year. Completely new players, culture, offense, etc. “I’m proud of the guys and how they handled themselves, but we have to get a lot better. We need to take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves (interception in the endzone, dropped interceptions, missed FG’s). The margin between the really good teams and the average teams are capitalizing on those opportunities.”

Fleck gave praise to the defense for playing well, and also gave specific praise to the special teams/Ryan Santoso for pinning Buffalo deep in their zone and making them travel the length of the field.

As for Oregon State, Coach said they’ve been able to score points and will be excited to have us travel to their stadium.

Antoine Winfield and Antonio Shenault were guys that Fleck named specifically as guys that have done some great things. With Duke McGhee out in the first half, guys like Jacob Huff got a lot more playing time than they have before.

The team didn’t pass as much in the second half, because the coaches did what they had to do to win the game, which involved a lot of inside zone.

Although Emmit Carpenter did miss two field goals, PJ gave him credit for making the one with all the pressure on him. “We could have gone for it on 4th and 1, but I have all the faith in the world in Emmit Carpenter. He responded to the ones he missed.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News