ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 11/4

Alex Carlson

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
*Note, this interview was taped before the Robb Smith firing

PJ started off noting that this year they have been very inconsistent. He noted that yesterday was “completely unacceptable. There’s lots of blame to go around, and that blame starts with me.”

“Too many missed tackles. Unacceptable. That’s from the front all the way to the back.”

Turnovers have been an issue for the Gophers all season long. Fleck noted that the four categories they care about and the 78% line he talks about. When the Gophers win those four categories, they are 4-0. When they lose those four categories, they are 0-5.

The big plays have been a problem all for the defense all year long and were particularly noticeable yesterday. Mike asked if it was a mixture of personnel, coaching, or schematic. PJ said that it is a mixture of all three. Rarely does a defense play every single position exactly right, however a lot of time they have good enough players to make up for somebody who has a bad play. At this time, the Gophers don’t have that.

“I understand why we are where we are. It is my job to fix it.”

Rashod Bateman was a bright spot for the Gophers with 175 receiving yards and two touchdowns. Coach hears a lot of the negative noise and blame for where the Gophers are at right now. He understands why people feel the way they do. However, he believes that that negativity takes away from the good happening with the Gophers which starts with a player like Rashod Bateman who is only a true freshman. “To do that at such a young age in the Big Ten is a complement to him and the offensive staff. As we continue to grow in the system I think we’ll be a really scare offense.”

Terell Smith and Jordan Howden were two players that PJ listed as players who he thinks will be playmakers at some point, however they are not at that point yet.

“There is a difference in speed right now between where we are and where we have to recruit and have to develop in our weight & conditioning program.”

Dave questioned if there are players playing offense that they may utilize on defense. The coaches will be evaluating everything in the offseason with a few specific players and the new 2019 class to decide where players will play.

Mike: “Are you worried that the players aren’t seeing the results?” PJ: “No because that is not what our program talks about. That talks about where you are at right now, not where you are going to be. It’s our job to respond to it in a positive way and that’s what I know our team will do.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News