ADVERTISEMENT

QBs and Offensive Linemen

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
I had to laugh when I read the post about the idea of signing 5 QBs and 15 offensive linemen to get the right guys..Maybe the idea of multiple QBs in each class and more O-linemen is a pretty good idea. I know, as fans, we are seeing what is so difficult about getting those guys at those positions and how important those positions are to the success of the offense.

Typically, the QBs and the offensive linemen are the smartest players on the team.. You are asking large guys to move quickly off the snap with good technique and aggression to accompany that intelligence. They all have to move in synchronized fashion so everyone must do their jobs well and together at the same time. In QBs, everyone reads about the strong arms, the size, and the 40 yard dash speed when the ability to make good decisions and execute are much more important. It is not as easy to evaluate, qualify/quantify those decision making skills and execution in high school because they are usually such superior athletes to anyone else on the HS field or surrounded by great athletes so they can get away with making mistakes in those areas..

Ohio State has such superior athletes that they have gotten away with wins the last couple weeks. But they are having the same problems with Cardale Jones that Minnesota is having with Mitch.. Coach Z and Adam Weber may be the most important coaches right now.. More so than Limegrover or Kill.. To add to the execution and decision making, there has to be confidence. I dont offer solutions as much as to say that I think that the 'melancholy way' of Kill is the realization that many of those fundamental execution issues are the mental mistakes that have turned into bad habits. Breaking those habits are tough. When you add injuries to that, it really becomes a large mountain to overcome. I have been guilty more than anyone else but I feel this is the time to support our guys more than ever, after I have had time to think about it.. This may be Kill's toughest coaching job, to date. No great decision makers or guys to execute at the most important positions on offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News