ADVERTISEMENT

Random camp injury thoughts

fencejumpers

Dec 30, 2002
Sioux Falls
I always hold my breath a little during this stretch in anticipation of the season as injuries always occur. They seem to fall into three categories: 1) minor injury and being held out as precaution, nothing to worry about; 2) potentially minor injury with some concern of an ongoing nagging injury for the season; 3) serious injury that takes a player out for at least a portion of the season.

When it is a serious injury, I always focus on whether it falls at a position of depth. MSU losing a starting linebacker and Nebraska losing an anticipated playmaker hurts. So far, the only serious injury we know so far, and which hasn't been discussed much, is Plsek's back issues. I think the lack of discussion has been largely due to anticipated depth at that position with hopes that Duke, Lingen, and Wozniak become solid contributors this year. However, I have some concerns that Plsek's absence affects the offense somewhat as he was clearly a different tight end than the others. Goodger was a very good player, but I wasn't worried about his loss as Plsek and him were pretty interchangeable as that 3 OT in the power game. Hopefully, that won't be a huge issue and/or Plsek is not out long.

Our depth has improved so much in the last 3 years that I believe we can weather injuries to most spots. That being said, I am hoping that we especially keep Leidner, the starting OT's, Richardson, and the starting Safeties healthy for the year. If any go out for extended time frames, my confidence and expectations for the season change.

Finally, I hope that the current injuries to Edwards (ankle again), Gentry, Keith, do not become lingering, season affecting injuries. While we have ok depth at their positions, I would like to see them at their healthiest (Mr. Obvious).

Reactions: dubwa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News