ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Richard Pitino pre-Wisconsin presser notes

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
  • Needed this break to get healthy and for Dupree and Curry to get back into the swing of things.
  • Excited about where we're at at 11-2 and 10-1 in the non-conference, especially for the adversity we've hit.
  • Ethan Happ is maybe the most unique player I've ever seen. Getting (guard D'Mitrik) Trice back helps them.
  • Happ is unstoppable if you go one-on-one with him. Teams pick their poison of trapping him or letting him beat you with twos. He's unorthodox. He's not like a lot of bigs out there right now. His footwork, his ability to dribble -- he's a really good ball handler from anywhere on the court -- he just presents a lot of challenges.
  • There are six guys on are team that we're on the NCAA Tournament team. Those six guys have got to be able to show the other guys. Getting Eric back makes us older. Those six have to be the voice of this team.
  • Murphy's shown great leadership. That's been his biggest improvement. He gets it. Dupree does too, of course, but he's obviously dealing with some tough times with his mom.
  • There have been games where Murphy's not getting a lot of first half shot attempts. It shouldn't be me running plays to get someone a shot. I have an expression that "let the ball find you, don't go find the ball." The more movement that everyone does, the better looks we'll get. It's not just one thing with Amir and Jordan.
  • Curry's very, very active. He keeps our defense more connected and our offense flowing. He's a very cerebral player, and he's a very good defender in the post.
  • I don't know why Wisconsin played at Western Kentucky. That's a hard game to play. That's a hard environment.
  • Nate Reuvers is going to be good. He's skilled, he's getting bigger and stronger.
  • Audrea (Eric Curry's mother) is very, very loyal. She's always quick to send me a positive text. She's a great mother.
  • Kenpom isn't rankings. He shows you where teams are at from a predictive nature for offensive and defensive efficiency. He's said over and over that it's not a rankings system. It's an evaluator for how you predict. I'm not surprised by why we're at. If you look at Kenpom, winning doesn't necessarily matter. If this was ten years ago, we might be ranked in the top 20 right now (in the polls), but (in the age of Kenpom) it's about how you win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News