ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day Eve war room

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
I've create threads every time I've heard news, so not much in here will be new, but having all info in one thread should be helpful.

Here are the remaining targets...

DeMarcus Williams -- Williams will sign tomorrow at 10 AM CT at his school. He will be a Gopher.

Arkeem Byrd -- This will be an interesting and big decision. Gopher fans should be thrilled if they land Byrd. Minnesota was confident they were going to land Byrd, but I'm not sure they still are. They have put in the most work and have the best relationship with him.

Just about everyone I've talked to says "I think it will be Missouri" or "sounds like Mizzou" or something along those lines. But no one has any substance to back it up. No one can tell me why Missouri leads. So while Missouri certainly has momentum, but that momentum is false.

As @aerosk83 started a thread about, I think Wake Forest might be a real contender for Byrd. They've always been in the conversation for Byrd, but haven't really been considered a contender. Why is that? To my knowledge, zero Wake Forest writers (on any of the networks or on a free site) have interviewed him, so there's been absolutely no conversation about them from a Wake Forest perspective. And his Wake Forest offer came within like a week (or maybe even the same day) of two or three other power five offers, so any non-Wake Forest writer interviewing him didn't ask more than one question about it because there was so much to cover. Also, coaches can have a hard time gauging where a prospect is leaning if he's out-of-state. The cards were really aligned here for Wake Forest to fall completely under the radar with Byrd. It makes sense that he's interested in them too. He's always spoken about wanting to play early (I would assume he has a great chance to do that there.), and it's closer to home than any of the other schools recruiting him. Being close to home is very important to his parents, although it is Arkeem's decision.

I just spoke to the Savannah writer that predicted Byrd to Wake Forest, and here's what he told me: "It's really anyone's guess. It's a very close race between all three (Minnesota, Missouri, and Georgia Tech). I'm predicting Wake after a conversation I had last week with his coach, Tim Adams. Adams seemed to think that Arkeem had the best visit to Wake. Also, another one of our area players is committed to Wake and he and Arkeem are friends, and Adams said that was a big plus for the Deacons.

Last I heard, Clemson and Tennessee are out of the picture for Byrd. Georgia Tech is where he committed on Wednesday, but they let him go after he told them he was visiting Missouri. There was also an incident with one of Byrd's family members. Georgia Tech is still out of the picture.

Talking with a Georgia source, it sounds like they're still in the picture. It's my understanding that one of Byrd's parents really wants him to go to Clemson or Georgia. Georgia is tight on numbers, but they like him. Kirby Smart likes him as a safety and assistant James Coley likes him as a running back. So if there's room for him, he may get an offer on Signing Day. I think that he will be a Bulldog if they do offer. Byrd signs at 4:30 PM CT. Byrd signing later in the day (Most recruits have a signing party right after school but actually send in the paperwork in the morning.) likely works in Georgia's favor. A defensive back they want, Jeawon Taylor, is announcing at either 10:00 or 11:00 AM CT, so Georgia could potentially offer Byrd if Taylor goes elsewhere. Again, I'm not sure that they'll offer him even if Taylor commits elsewhere. Just know that it's a possibility.

Dredrick Snelson -- I have to say, I really don't know what will happen with Snelson. Remember, his top five are Maryland, Miami, Minnesota, Penn State, and UCF, but I've been told Miami's offer is uncommittable and Maryland won't be his decision. In Sunday's article on him, when I asked him what his message was to Gopher fans hoping he'd stay committed, he told me, "this is for my Gopher fans -- don't ever question my loyalty to them." But in the previous question, he told me he was still thinking things over.

Why Minnesota? He's made the strongest statements about the Gophers. He told the staff he was coming here on an in-home visit. The Gophers have probably worked the hardest. The Gophers probably also have the best relationship with his mother. It would have been easy for him to decommit after the Daniels left, but he didn't.

Why Penn State? I had a Rivals regional guy tell me today that he thinks Penn State might be the decision. He sounded excited talking about Penn State in our interview on Sunday. They're the most prestigious program going after him. I also had a very, very small lead yesterday that Snelson might be choosing Penn State.

Why UCF? It's closest to home. He likes the fact that Oregon's former offensive coordinator is the new head coach. The trips to UCF on consecutive weekends (the second of which he tried to keep secret) is highly suspicious and definitely indicates strong interest.

Coney Durr -- It's down to Virginia Tech and Minnesota for Durr and both staffs are confident. He told me that he likes Virginia Tech's football program more but Minnesota's academics more. For most recruits, that would mean he'd be a Hokie, but Coney does value his education.

I definitely got the sense last night that he was leaning toward Virginia Tech, and he kind of told me that when he said "you always want to commit after a visit." He'll be smart and methodical about the decision and not base it off emotion, though. Let's hope he's a Gopher. Minnesota has obviously put in way more work.

Daniel Thomas -- Auburn did not call and offer Thomas on Sunday night, but the Auburn Rivals writer says he doesn't think things are completely over between Thomas and Auburn. However, since the call didn't come, I think there's a far greater chance that he won't be offered than that he will be. It would have to come awful soon.

South Carolina is no longer in the picture for Thomas. If UNC lands KJ Sails (and most think they will), then UNC doesn't have a spot for Thomas. If they don't land Sails, then Thomas does have a committable offer. Our UNC writer thinks that the Heels will land Thomas if that's the case. Louisville is the other school in his top five, but he didn't take a visit there and there's been no buzz with him and UL.

If UNC lands Sails, Thomas will certainly be a Gopher. If UNC doesn't land Sails, it becomes a tougher call, as I think both staffs are confident they will get him. Minnesota has been talking to Thomas two or three times as long as UNC, however.

Lloyd Cushenberry -- Mississippi State is very confident they'll get Cushenberry. Cancelling his South Carolina visit when he had a committable offer and was committed there is also a pretty telling sign that he's Mississippi State-bound. There's some hope for the Gophers here because (a) they have put a lot of work into him and had some great in-home visits, and (b) to my knowledge, Cushenberry hasn't informed Minnesota of his decision. I would not get my hopes up, though. Durr being uncertain also doesn't help.

Tamarion Johnson -- Johnson told me Minnesota is his favorite and that he'll announce his decision today.

Tyrez Lindsey -- After his Minnesota visit, Lindsey texted me, without explicitly saying it, that he was going to be a Gopher. It now seems like tides have turned, though. Our Memphis writer is confident he'll be a Tiger. I don't anticipate Lindsey signing with Minnesota.

---

JaQua Daniels, Chase Allen, Blake Hickey, Harrison Barton, Rhashuan Epting, Will Evans, Eric Kendzior, Chase Pine, Bryce Huff, Simeon Smiley, Emmanuel Tait, Devon Key, and Jaquez Payton have all not heard from Minnesota recently. There will be no "if target A goes here, target B will get a last second offer."

---

There's no drama with current commits other than Durr and Snelson. Thomas decided not to visit Oklahoma State last weekend. Kobe McCrary received a visit from Louisville last week but is all set on being a Gopher. No one else was really hearing from another program very seriously.

---

Landing Tamarion Johnson, DeMarcus Williams, and Daniel Thomas would make for 22 commits in this class. That would also mean the Gophers are full with 85 scholarships, although I would anticipate a player or two dropping football because of injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News