ADVERTISEMENT

Tactics of the elite....Best of 55

Highway55

Feb 5, 2007
Find your best players and play them the bulk of the time.

why do we have wholesale subs on defense all game? Elite teams find their best 11 and play them with an occoaaional sub. Injury or an occasional blow and that's it. Nothing wholesale.

Case in point.
Jack Lynn didn't play much yesterday. I bet he played half the snaps on defense. Why?
Match-ups? Strategy? Packages? He's our best linebacker if you ask me. Why isn't he out there the whole game as a senior leading this defense, barking in the huddle. Providing leadership on the field.

Elite tactics in all sports, says find your best players and go with it. Subs are used to keep guys fresh....not as chess pieces.
When you sub constantly there is always a drop off in talent. (Safety burned constantly) Show me an elite defense that subs as much as we do and 55 will shut up.

Claeys worked it much better than Sawvel. But we've lost our DB coach and linebacker coach and it shows. Our defense was so bad under Mason we've loved this staff's improvement. But we are not elite.

I've said it under Kill and Claeys obviously buys in. We will never be elite until we have elite tactics. These coaches think they are the ones who make the difference. (Kill culture)

As talented as Michigan, Alabama and Ohio State are, they don't rotate nearly as much as we do? They have the horses on the sideline right? They are elite so you compete for your starting job and it's yours until you lose it. They are elite because they execute elite tactics.

Offense.....
As good as our running game is, I'd draw up and instruct my QB to throw at least 5 bombs a game. The threat would loosen up the box and improve our running game and make our offense much more explosive. And if we threw 5 a game, we'd get better at it and connect on a few, get penalties on a few and create the threat in the opponent. Then, they'd have to worry about the run and our deep threat.

Again....elite teams play their best players, are aggressive and aren't predictable. We aren't elite (yet) because we don't employ elite tactics.

I hate to say it....but Wisconsin does. And that is the difference between us and them. Only difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News