ADVERTISEMENT

The "dizziness" of rumors and the "chess game" of coaching hires.

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
I am still wondering why Moorehead at Penn State and Brent Venables at Clemson are not being pursued more publically as assistants for head coaching opportunities. Maybe both have already said they arent interested in leaving their present positions, I dont know.... Heck, Moorehead had a successful run for a few years as head coach at Fordham...Venables is from Kansas originally so I thought he may be at a point in his career that he wants a head coaching job back in the plains or even in the SEC. Turned down numerous head coaching opportunities in the past and may be satisfied to work the rest of his career as a top flight assistant..

I heard that if the Mississippi jobs opened up that geographically, it would make sense to get Mike Norvell from Memphis, which is on the Mississippi border..Or maybe former Memphis coach, Justin Fuente who is at Virginia Tech.. Gus Malzahn has a team that has a great chance at making the college football playoffs at Auburn since they have beaten Alabama yet he may want to go home to Arkansas in the same conference... Kinda strange to me, really to go from a school that potentially can win the national championship to a rebuild but it is "home"... Neal Brown at Troy has to be foaming at the mouth as I am sure he would be under consideration to move up to the Auburn job if Malzahn leaves. Brown was OC at Kentucky and has had decent offenses at Troy, which is in Alabama. I have even heard from a person who I dont think has much credibility that Bielema could go to Iowa State if Matt Campbell takes on a bigger job..One thing I am pretty sure is that Nebraska will be the only Big Ten team to change head coaches this off season. Schiano and Mullen are good hires at Tennessee and Florida, in my opinion. McElwain will probably go back out west somewhere, at some point..Butch Jones may end up at a smaller school, perhaps a MAC school. These 2 big hires in the SEC should start the dominoes falling, so this is going to be quite a ride to sort out wild rumors and actual hires.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News