ADVERTISEMENT

This Tennessee/Iowa game is a good game to reflect on the Gophers' future

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
Tennessee is really getting the ball up and down the floor... Both teams are decent offensive teams but Tennessee seems to be more athletic...It makes me reflect on which way the Gophers need to go to become more efficient as an offense. Iowa and Tennessee get their points in different ways. To me, Minnesota needs to pick one and recruit to that style.

I have to admit I have been impressed with the SEC teams still in the tournament.. Auburn, Kentucky, LSU, and Tennessee can play with anyone.. They have guys that can shoot BUT THE KEY IS THEY ALSO HAVE GUYS THAT CAN GET THEIR OWN SHOTS. They play fast and are very athletic on both ends of the floor though Kentucky probably should have been knocked out of the tournament if the Wofford's Magee hits 25% or better of his 3 point attempts in that game.

Right now, we have Amir Coffey that can create his own shot and IW can as well but who knows if he is coming back. Just because all the guys on Tennessee like to get up and down the floor DOES NOT MEAN they dont play within a structure nor run sets. We could really benefit with more skilled and talented guys on the wings. WE WILL DEFINITELY BENEFIT FROM THE ADDITION OF MARCUS CARR and TRE WILLIAMS NEXT YEAR, in that respect... But if we continue to play the style we are playing, we might as well recruit guys that can create their own shot, play fast, and not worry about size so much, like Tennessee. Just get bouncy guys that shoot and chase down the rebounds by getting off their feet quicker than the opponent, both on the jump and chasing down the loose ball.

If we commit to pick and roll basketball, then get good at the screen/roll with the bigs and have the shooters open up around them on the kick out. I keep going back to what BENS has said in that we really dont have an identity.. We have players that are "square pegs trying to fit in round holes"in what we are doing right now, as far as perimeter players. We need guys that can create their own shot in the offense we run currently so if RIchard wants to play that, then recruit to that. Tennessee would be a good team to follow but to succeed, we need that type of athlete that has the basic skills of creating their own shot and hitting the 3 ball on the move.. Iowa shoots the 3 ball but works a lot more on the inside/outside style of basketball. Recruit long shooters that can use the screen off the ball(except for Bohannon). Iowa is not going to probably win but it is a style of basketball that can win from an offensive perspective..

The other style is a Wofford where you have at least 3 players on the floor at all times that can pull up and shoot the 3 at any time, from any position. SHOOT AND CHASE THE REBOUND. Those teams live and die by the 3(they died against Kentucky) but it can take them a long way if they hit those shots. I think it is fun to watch teams that dont have to labor so hard to get baskets and that is why I like to watch this game,

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News