ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Thoughts on CJ West's film

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
CJ West is an interesting commit to me. His archetype is different than other defensive lineman Fleck’s recruited to Minnesota.

Strengths: CJ does an excellent job of using his hands at the point of contact. He dominates offensive linemen by winning with hands inside, delivering a powerful punch that knocks the blocker back, finishing with full extension he is able to control and shed the blocker.

His strength and physicality also allows him to neutralize blocks well and makes him strong as a bull rusher. He’s got a vicious bull rush.

He also looks like a good tackler. Wraps up well.

Weaknesses: West plays more high than you’d like. This is of course not uncommon for players who are able to easily dominate at the high school level physically, but he will be exposed at the Big Ten level if he plays this high.

Staying low will also help his lateral quickness, which is something I think he’ll need to improve. He could be lighter on his feet.

He could also develop more as a pass rusher to complement his bull rush. He’s so physically dominant in high school that I don’t see finesse moves in his pass rush.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News